Skip to main content

O-kay then

In other news, there's plenty o'news.
So the big manager has been given his shot elsewhere. His assistant and I step up to promotion. In theory, it's all beautiful. Wage hike, more of a chance to prove I'm more than capable of running the whole shebang stood on my head, big old gilt-edged opportunity right there.

But of course, the fears immediately start to creep in. Will the new manager go power-crazed and start barking at staff in front of customers? Will I crumble under the pressure of having to be nice to people all the time? And isn't it about thime that I started accepting that I seem to have gone career here? All this, and more, in your super soaraway coastalblog.

I sspect I may be blogging a bit more frequently than usual, I'll have a lot to work through in the coming months, and writing it all out does help to clarify matters somewhat. The two week hiatus was down to a variety of factors: the jaw-dropping rapidity of my promotion, the net being out for a week (a big 'ol thank-you to the USELESS MUTANT BASTARDS at British Telecom for taking over a week to sort that one out [why mutant? well, unless their hands were surgically attached to their asses...]) and a sojourn down south to see the folks. Which was great in parts.

The upsides: the second I saw the road sign saying "You are now entering the South West" I instantly felt my neck muscles relax, my sister is the most radiant creature on the whole of this good earth, beautiful and fearless as only eleven year olds can be. Getting on moderately well with my dad's new mrs dad, if only because it makes life easier for him. Wonderful to bookend the stay with hotel visits, just me and Roe, Worcester on the way down, Ludlow on the way back up (of which, more later)

The downsides: this trip was the first intimation I have ever had of my parent's mortality, and thus, by inference, the first I have ever had of my own. My mother seems weakened by the awful relationship she's just been through, and although she has her own house the future seems financially precarious. I feel the onus is on me to start making some money. She's happy at the moment, but I fear for the time when my sister is the last one to leave. And poor old Dad, arthritis is attacking him everywhere , no caffeine, no wheat, no dairy, theoretically no alcohol but he wasn't about to let that stop us chatting over a pint of incredibly good bitter (Exmoor Gold, fact fans). Conversely though, he is bearing it with fortitude. He's helped in this by the fact that he's settled, and has the companionship of a woman who adores him. They have plans, and Dad being Dad, I see no reason why those plans shouldn't come to fruition. Mum was less lucky, her long term boyfriend finally showed his colours as a fucking coward, and failed to commit when the deal for the house they were supposed to buy together was said and done. Get this, he gave her an engagement ring on Christmas Day. Less than two months later, he's gone. Piece of shit. Mum being mum, she thrives off companionship. I am worried. The only other downside was the terrifying amount of money I spent, but I'm being philosophical about that, compared to the other stuff.

So anyway, Ludlow.
GO TO LUDLOW. EAT THE CHEESES FROM THE CHEESE SHOP. DROP TO YOUR KNEES AND GIVE THANKS TO THE DEITY OF YOUR CHOICE THAT YOU LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE MRS BELL'S BLUE GOAT'S CHEESE EXISTS. HAVE PINTS IN FRONT OF LOG FIRES, EVEN THE CHARITY SHOPS SEEM TO SELL BEER AND HAVE LOG FIRES. GO TO LUDLOW. GO TO LUDLOW. GO TO LUDLOW.

That is all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T