Skip to main content

Obligatory referendum post

It was pointed out me that I've been fairly quiet on the subject of the referendum so far. This is largely because I didn't want to state the bleeding obvious. Remain, obviously. Every argument I've heard from leave has been vague hand-flapping of the "it'll be fine" variety. I've heard no numbers. It's an emotional argument peddled by misty-eyed fantasists of an Elgar-soundtracked Merrie England which NEVER EXISTED at the more palatable end, and by swivel eyed bigots and xenophobes at the less refined end. All their argument about "red tape" conveniently ignore the protection of workers which eu directives enforce (and which the Tories would dearly love to get rid of, reckon maternity allowance would be what it is out of the eu? Then you're an imbecile. Get to the back of the class and play with some paper or something). I'd have some sympathy for the immigration argument, were it not for the fact that every eastern European I've ever met has been conscientious and hard working, and the ONS's own numbers indicate that they contribute far more to the economy than they take out. I understand the emotional dislike of immigration as eroding traditional societal structures but, frankly, it's the twenty-first century. get over it. There's a racist element to the Leave argument which can't be ignored and should be confronted.

Further disenchantment with the leave case is provided by those fronting it. I just don't believe in them. Gove spent ages banging on about how we should "be like Norway" until it was pointed out they pay in almost as much as we do. His next best argument? Albania. And all that shit he's chatting about giving money to the NHS, does anyone buy that for a second? I also refuse to believe talk of dropping VAT on fuel from a man which was part of a government which enthusiastically raised VAT to it's current eye-watering 20%. As for Johnson, I don't think he's ever said a word he believed in. This is the sight of a man prepared to gamble with an entire country purely for the sake of his own political ambition. The rest seem to be the usual mob of angry middle class white blokes (with Gisela Stuart as a fig-leaf to cover their shrivelled privates).

Remain's case is more compelling, not that I'm a fan of how Cambo and Osborne have gone about it. their scaremongering is as unpalatable as BoJo's opportunist flag-waving but, crucially, they have the stats. They have numbers. This decision is too important to leave to the heart alone. And much as it pains me to agree with Osborne about ANYTHING it seesm for once his sums are roughly in the right ballpark

I'm by no means a big EU fan, the sustained humiliation of the Greeks was hard to stomach from a progressive's point of view. It is an unwieldy machine and, as such, wasteful. But it strikes me that the correct approach is a sceptical remain, because you can't reform anything from the outside. On the whole I feel it does more good than harm. Not had a lot in the way of land wars in Europe since it's inception, either, have we? Not much of a banner-waving argument, I agree. But that's because I'm a grown up. I'm not here to wave a fucking flag around, I'm here to do the right thing by my wife, my kids, my fellow countrymen and my fellow europeans. So yes, Remain, obviously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&