Skip to main content

The point of arbitrary goals

I laughed at myself yesterday morning. You ridiculous man, I thought.

It was a dreich, bleak, January morning, the wind was bringing scuds of stinging rain flat across the west lancashire plain horizontally, so one half of your body got soaked. I was, naturally, out for a run, and then I saw some pheasants. Two cocks, jerking around a barren field. First of the year, I thought, and made a mental note to put them on the list.

Which is when I laughed at myself, the list. One of many. The run was on a list, too. Earlier on during the run I'd been thinking about the book I was reading. Also, on a list. Targets for the year. 200 bird species, 1500 miles and 50 books. Why does everything have to be a challenge? Why not just enjoy things for what they are: the beauty of two richly plumaged birds in an otherwise barren field, the pure physical pleasure of a long run, the fresh perspectives of an author new to me.

When I'd finished shaking my head at my inability to just enjoy the moment for what it was rather than immediately commodifying it, I got to thinking about this urge, and how I was going to dovetail it into another one, the urge to keep this blog going. The two are partially related. An old girlfriend would roll her eyes at this, and tell me to stop overthinking it (I can almost hear her doing it), but this is by way of making my excuses, and also by way of thinking through who I am and what I do.

This blog's been a number of things over the years, injoke, platform, advertising, pulpit. Most of all it's a monumuent to self-absorption and solipsism, of course, what kind of monstrous arrogance does it it take to assume people are going to want to read it? But, taking that as read, it's also a vehicle for working things through, out loud, if you will.

I first started counting runs a couple of years ago, roughly the same time that I started keeping a regular diary (in addition to this blog which, as long time readers will be aware, is decidedly irregular). The runs were a response to my deteriorating health. The diary a response to my less than brilliant memory, and also an attempt to impose some discipline on anotherwise chaotic writing process. Both could be said to be me attempting to recapture something of myself after the full mind/body press of starting a family at the same time as a business.

(there's something to be said here about how this is essentially a selfish act, but I'll deal with that when I review the book I'm currently reading, there are some harmonic similarities)

Fast forward to the present day and I am now something of an inveterate note-keeper. The diarising has become a fact of life (and a matter of deep regret, I wish I'd always done it, I have very little memory of ages 18-35 - don't do drugs, kids), as has logging runs, there's a sense of satisfaction to it, of being able to look back on the road you've been down. But this doesn't fully explain my habit of setting myself arbitrary targets.

It started with the running, I wondered if I could do 1000 miles in a year, and did. So then it seemed the most natural thing to try to do 1100, then 1250. From there it's just a short step to 1500 (well, quite a few short steps) and, I reason, even if I fall short, I'll still end up having done a lot more than if I hadn't tried. As to the books, well, I think I explained that one at the time. I want to read more, I just need to give myself a framework to do it. It may seem like a joyless box-ticking exercise, but if it has the effect of making me read more (and blog more) then it's all to the good (to this end I've also set myself the added caveat of no-re-reads). The next tinme those end of year literary quizzes roll round, I'll be ready.

And then the birds. What's all that about? Whilst a keen observer of birds, I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a bird-watcher. I've never been one for piling into a van to go and see one of innumerable brown warblers which has been blown off course. This seems the least likely of the challenges. But there are a few reasons to do it. Firstly, it will compel us to go to places we wouldn't normally go. 200 is a lot of species, and so a variety of spots will need visiting. Secondly, chasing after birds is, of necessity, an outdoor pursuit. We're all fairly outdoorsy anyway, this gives an extra reason to wander off the beaten path. Thirdly, the boys. Point out a Sedge Warbler and they'll shrug, bored. Point it out when you've challenged them to help you compile a list and they'll ask if we have it yet. You get far fewer complaints about being bored on walks when they're competing to see who can spot the most species.

So I suppose the reason I've given myself these arbitrary challenges is fairly simple. it's not the end goal, it's the process. I don't expect to achieve any of these, but I'll learn a lot by trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage