Skip to main content

Book 11: Sexing the Cherry, Jeanette Winterson

An so it came to pass that with two thirds of the year boxed off your humble correspondent threw up his hands and declared that all the year's lofty aims were coming a horrible cropper. Which, of course, they were always going to. However, it's hard to get too down-heartened about failing in the tasks I've set myself when the attempt contains gems like this.

It's stretching the no re-reads rule a trifle, because I have indeed read this book before, but it was that long ago I reckoned an exception could be made, and I'm very glad I did. What seemed to me to be unnecessarily tricksy when I was a tedious undergrad who wasn't half as clever as he thought he was has turned over time into a glorious flight of fancy (or rather, I've turned into someone who can get his head around it). Concerning the adventures of Jordan, an abandoned child discovered on the banks of the Thames (two rivers already, with all the intimation of travel and impermanence that they imply) by his adoptive mother, the larger than life Dog Woman.

As Jordan , not one to be tied to one place, roams the world looking for new fruits in the company of the King's gardener, John Tradescant, and in the process tracking down his mysterious true love who may or may not be real the Dog Woman stays put, mourns his absence, breeds her fighting dogs and murders a few Puritans. But this is only a tiny fraction of a story that roams over time and reality whilst resisting definitive interpretation. The Jordan of the 1600s becomes Nicholas Jordan of the 1990s, likewise a sailor, likewise dissatisfied, he meets his own woman by a river, an environmental campaigner. Winterson roams with cheerful disregard across time, what matters, of course, is the journey

Like all good books, it works on a few levels, at once feminist critique, magic-realist fable and bawdy farce. Winterson writes by turns with delicate yearning and ribald energy. The use of the fable of the Twelve Dancing Princesses is an excellent framing device for Jordan's quest, and allows her to skewer gender-role preconceptions with accuracy and precision, as they find happiness by abandoning marriages in various way. This also the case in the form of the Dog Woman, who is stronger and larger than any man, and content in her own company, finding that men break so easily. The magic-realist elements recall Calvino's Invisible Cities, as Jordan travels to impossible places and sees marvels and wonders, but who knows what seemed impossible and marvellous at that time? Indeed, the presentation of the wonder that is the banana is a key marker for what will follow. Much that seems banal now was once a mystery, and this book, which was once a mystery is anything but banal. Now, if only someone will let me have another crack at that undergrad essay....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage