Skip to main content

Reasons to be cheerful (1-4)

Been a bit of a twat of a year, hasn't it? Racists, astonishing political stupidity, hilarious venality, an American presidency of almost unimaginable wtfery, racists, Brexit sucking the life out of every other issue on the face of the planet, including the planet itself (fucked, apparently), a Prime Minister with the lexicon of a three year old, ashen-faced, stricken, only able to repeat three stock phrases, a clueless Opposition, racists, the discovery that one's fellow man consists largely of incredibly stupid people, the removal of the reassuring idea that most people were probably alright, racists, did I mention the planet's fucked, people caring more about Strictly than racists, you know, the usual.

So in amongst the deconstruction of civilisation, I thought it would be far better to reflect on some things in 2018 which leavened the gloom a little, before returning to stockpiling medicines and learning how to carve weapons from my defeated enemy's thigh-bone (you'll all be at it soon)


1) Challenges

I may get a post about this up at some point. I probably won't. Long story short, some of you may recall that I set myself a series of tasks at the start of the year. The surprise will be scant that I failed miserably in all three. But success wasn't really the point, this was the year when I took more notice of my surroundings (as I chased an arbitrary bird-spotting target), re-engaged with culture (as I chased an arbitrary books read target) and became a mite fitter and healthier ( as I chased a less- arbitrary, given previous form, target of miles run). It's the journey, man.

2) My Commute

Now, as one of life's confirmed non-drivers, I've never had much of a commute, arranging my existence so I generally work within walking distance. My current place of employment is a mere 3/4 of a mile from my front door. Pleasant enough in and of itself. But as I ply my trade at what is, to all intents and purposes, a country pub (though not one at too far a remove, clearly), the stroll in takes me past a few trees, a pond (which, to my delight, was colonised by Shelduck this year, thus adding a species to the book I will never write: Avifauna of the Scott Estate, la), a whack of farmland a and a couple of paddocks, so, at most times of the year, my journey is accompanied by a variety of bird species (I grew quite attached to a solitary Lapwing which spent a confused week in one of the paddocks), plenty of exercising horses and the odd sheep or three. This very morning I paused to watch a field wide stand-off between a cock pheasant and a fox. Beats the shit out of the M58.


3) The Sea

A Devonian sojourn in October gave this displaced Cornishman the opportunity to renew acquaintances with the Atlantic ocean, which was as integral a part of my growing up as doodling in exercise books when I should have been studying, vomiting in beer gardens and failing to become a widely adored rock star. Now, the thing to remember about the sea in the south west is it's at its warmest in October, having had the whole summer to warm up. So whilst the weather may have tended towards the dreich, my sons and I had a high old time of it swimming, bodysurfing and generally titting about in the sea, which we had entirely to ourselves, in sharp contrast to the overcoated and hatted dribs and drabs on the beach. They may have though we were nuts, we didn't care. Bit parky when you got out, mind.


4) The Mountains

The boys did their first mountain in this year. Whernside, since you ask. And the reason this memory gives me a warm glow is nothing to do with the achievement (as mountains go, it's not overly demanding), but more to do with how they conducted themselves. Charging up and down it with a zest which the grownups in the party found hard to match (reaching the summit first in lockstep with my eldest was a particular highlight). It was a timely reminder that, with a all the distractions life can throw at them, give a kid a bloody great big hill to run down and they'll be happy as clams.



There are others, but they'll have to follow in due course. 2018 has also been the year of me finishing work too late and not getting any kip. Which I need to rectify now...I hope fervently that each and every one of you has a few highlights that they can look back on and smile, and also that you're well prepared and well armed when society collapses in approx. three months. Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&