Skip to main content

Keeping it in a box

It's coming close to new computer time, and, as happens each time this question rolls around, I toy with the idea of a laptop, temporarily seduced by twenty year out of date images of sitting around in coffee shops writing the novel which I realised ten years ago I was never going to write. It is a sign of how divorced I am from the modern world that this is the debate I have with myself, a choice between two dinosaurs of computing, with my preference inevitably being for the older and hoarier of the two, the good old-fashioned desktop PC.

Why am I not even entertaining the idea of something newer, shinier, smaller, whizzier? And the answer is simple, I don't want the sodding internet with me everywhere I go. I quite like viewing the world as it is, I like a bit of haphazardness, I like accidental discoveries, I don't want to read a fucking TripAdvisor review before I decide whether to go into a café or not. I also cherish retaining the ability to do things myself, rather than relying on a phone to sort it our for me. I am in no sense anti-technology, I relish the power for informing and self-determination that social media has unleased (whilst simultaneously banging my head against the wall at the ludicrous, performative, lying side to humanity it's helped), but I like to keep it at arm's length, in a box, in the conservatory.

Frankly, I don't want a GPS signal in my pocket. I don't want to feel compelled to keep up with things. I certainly don't want a little box in the corner of my home deciding what music I want to listen to. More and more, it seems, technological advances are about the removal of choice, rather than the expansion of it, as the tech giants become the gatekeepers, arbiters of what we see, hear, listen to, experience. Well, you can fuck that right off for a start.

I'm equally aware of the counter-argument to this, that a Spotify playlist can bring you things you've never heard, be an aid to discovery, that those TripAdvisor reviews could help you find a place you'd never have gone to otherwise (though, speaking as someone who's eaten at most of his local places, I find the idea that I'd take the recommendations of the local dining public with anything other than a vast pinch of salt slightly ludicrous), but the crucial difference is I like working stuff out for myself, I like finding things, I like a bit of mystery.

I'm lucky enough to be of the generation which repeatedly congratulates itself on growing up in a pre-internet age, but which was young enough to take the idea and run with it. Which is great, but it doesn't stop us from turning our lives into performance art, look at my kids, look at my lovely house, look, I'm on a beach, are you on a beach? I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but keeping it at arms length, in a box, in the conservatory means I don't act on impulse, if I want to stick a photo up on facebook it's a laborious, time-consuming process, it's not a thoughtless act. It's something I think people might like to see. This is not to imply that everyone else's is, it's more simply to state that I reckon that if I had the means to do so, I'd be flooding the internet with even more pointless crap than I already do.

Yes, of course, the elephant in the room is this, the blog, a performative act which has been ongoing for a long time, a monstrous act of egotism, as all self-publishing on the internet is. This is no better, morally speaking, than your artfully constructed selfie. It's a bit rich of me to criticise anyone. This is why I cordon these blogs off, only linked to via a page you've actively had to like, or a twitter feed you've actively had to follow. I don't really want to impose, it's the curse of the modern age. So, if you're here, you've made a choice to do so (one you're probably currently regretting).

I'm not really here to lecture, it's everyone's personal choice, after all, more to explain why I choose to avoid smartphones, avoid anything which draws me nearer to something which is becoming increasingly influential. There was a column I read recently where a journalist wrote about ditching her smartphone, and how she felt less anxiety and I thought really? You really think this is remarkable enough to write a column about? This is a seismic event for you? The rush to embrace new technologies always seems to imply an inevitability about it, this is my way of saying no, thanks. it's not. I don't "have" to have a smartphone in the same way that I don't have to have a hang-glider. It's an implement, which one can choose to use or not use. I choose not to. I choose to keep the internet here, in a box, in the conservatory, and when I finish writing this I'm going to put a link up on my writing page, and I'm going to tweet a link. And then I'm going to turn the internet off and go for a walk, and I won't look at a screen for the rest of the day because, and this is key, I won't need to. Have a lovely day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage