Skip to main content

You're hard.

Sajid Javid, Sajid Javid, you're hard, you're hard, Theresa May, Theresa May, you're hard as well.

Yes, belatedly, here's the Coastalblog take on the Shamima Begum farrago, not so much a hot take as a lukewarm one, I grant you, but what the hell. Now, I hate to be so predictably on-brand about this, but, as I'm sure you've already guessed, I tend towards the view that the whole thing's a misconceived pile of easily-avoided fuck-up with a nice cool glass of racism on the side.

It was when I noticed normally sane people starting to share Katie Hopkins videos that I realised that there was a disturbance in the force. Friends who I know to be mild-mannered and reasonable were quietly muttering about how she shouldn't be allowed back. What on Earth was going on? The facts of the case seemed pretty straightforward: idiot goes and joins ISIS, has a traumatic time of it, loses two children, figures baby number three will have a better shot back in the UK and says she wants to come back. Well, fair enough, she's a UK citizen after all. One who has, granted, associated willingly with terrorists capable of the most appalling acts of horror, but, as UK citizen, subject to UK law. So, let her come back and submit to said process. The point being that as a functioning Western Democracy that purports to hold the rule of law paramount, you have to be seen to be doing that.

Then everyone lost their shit and The Saj revoked her citizenship (even though he, um, can't, actually), a decision which probably has a bit more to do with Sajid Javid's chances of being Prime Minister than they do about due process of law. Now, I understand that we're not big on ISIS, I'm not really a fan myself. I equally understand that Begum has made a calculated decision and displays a startling lack of contrition, all this is irrelevant, if you start playing silly buggers with the actual law in order to score political points it's the start of an exceedingly slippery slope.

Because that's all that lies behind this catastrophic bit of grandstanding from Javid, the archetypal kid who hid behind the big kids at school. Stripping the rights from a bereaved rape-victim, you're nails, lad, hard as fuck. You simultaneously worry the shit out of a huge amount of your fellow countrymen who wonder what you might do to them, hand a propaganda coup to your enemies, show the world that you, personally, are afraid of a young woman and basically send out the message that the British system is unable to cope with the repatriation of one single non-combatant. To bring her back would have said, we are strong, we can cope, our way of life is the right one. But no, The Saj chose to do the sort of thing that gets you a moment's approval from the Mail, bolsters fear and stokes division. It was a craven, politically illiterate act. A posturing attempt to show strength which, I'm afraid, reveals only weakness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage