Skip to main content

The week that was

As coastalblog has always been as time poor as it is ego-rich, I've started a bunch of blog posts this week without ever actually having an opportunity to finish any of them, so here they are, hastily lumped together to give me some vague sense of having accomplished something this week.

What's the sodding point?

Blogging is, as I am painfully aware, a monstrously self-indulgent exercise, but it seems to have been rendered even more pointless over the last couple of years by the astonishing rapidity of the news cycle, from the what's-he-done-now permaspaff of Trump's disorienting outrage-spray, to who's-getting-cancelled-by-an outraged-Twitter-mob-this-minute it's been a time when even the most comitted hack could be forgiven for only filing at around half-four in the morning, the only time of the day when you might get ten minutes without something unprecedented happening. This dizzying whirl has reached yet further levels of oh-sod-this this week, which the startling evolution of the PM's shiny new Brexit plans (see below). It felt like every time I was ready to hit publish, the landscape had changed fundamentally. So don't bother! I hear you cry, do us all a favour and stop foisting this half-baked mess on us! Give up! And you certainly have a point, but the other thing is, it's all weirdly compelling.


Just who are the people, exactly?

I have found myself wondering, yet again, who the people are this week. They've been evoked a lot again over the last few days, that raddled old workhorse of a phrase "will of the people" (how soon a phrase which, when first uttered, seemed uneasily to evoke soviet-style totalitarianism, has evolved into just a think that C or D list politicians reflexively use as conversational punctuation, like Millenials starting every sentence with "So...") has been bandied about with gay abandon by Brexity types like Andrew Bridgen or Mark Francois, Which leads me to wonder who on Earth the people are, and how these lads know them. Though in the case of Francois, it's probably because he's eaten them. The Beeb have decided to get "The People" to do their job for them, as their news programmes now consist entirely of sending a reporter to a shopping centre in Stoke when most of "The People" are at work, vox-popping half a dozen angry pensioners and then deciding that This Is The News.

The answer, of course, is that "The People" are whoever agrees with your side. Remainers talk about their poll numbers, Brexiteers cling on to the hallowed 17.4 million. Trump points at the "Impeach this" map displaying a swathe of sparsely populated red states, the press use the public interest argument (of which, more below) to justify whatever snotty thinkpiece some ratbag columnist has thunked about the Duchess of Sussex this week. MPs talk about he people they've met "on the doorstep" as if one weren't able to have a bath without some junior trade minister knocking on the door and saying "can you please say you just want to get Brexit done?"

Am I...a royalist now?

Nazi fancy dress? What Nazi fancy dress? Yes, that old trope, my enemy's enemy is my friend, reared treacherously into view this week as people with a hitherto pathological dislike of monarchy found themselves cheering Prince Harry on as he launched a broadside against the tabloid press, who've been conducting a campaign of low-level sniping against his wife ever since they realised that she was a) not St Kate of Middleton (who receives plaudits for wearing the same coat twice) and b) not white. There has been shock and disquiet in some quarters, and any amount of column inches from faux-concerned royal-watchers (a mysterious job which seems to consist largely of interpreting the hat choices of Princess Michael of Kent as commentary on the vexed question of when to get India back) but not at Coastalblog towers, where I'm surprised at his restraint, taking the view that anyone slagging off Mrs Coastalblog in print for years would receive distinctly more than an angry letter, particularly if they'd also killed my mum. The press have responded with the well-worn public interest argument, which doesn't reflect terribly well on the public, because if you're the sort of person that gets their kicks from hating on people for not immediately presenting their baby to you for inspection / dissection / judgement then you....well, you need a better hobby.

Whiff-whaff's coming home

(with thanks, if memory serves, to Robin MacKenzie, I have a feeling it was his joke originally)

Oh Christ, where to start? I've had to junk this piece and re-write it so many times, so I'm just going to try for a general overview, hit publish and then run away before something else happens. As far as I can make out, Overstuffed-sofa-alike, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, spaffed his Brexit plans all over the Tory conference, and they loved it, the slags. Not many others did, though, with the EU, in particular the Irish, pointing out that this now means two borders where there were previously none, Jeremy Corbyn pointing at the erosion of worker's rights and a few people scratching their heads and saying isn't this basically May's deal but you've crossed out the word "Backstop" and replaced it with the words "Magical Science Stuff". Still, who cares about detail when it's time to Get Brexit Done (or, alternatively, quietly file the documents to ask for an extension and hope to god that nobody notices). Still, we're coming out on the 31st, unless there's no deal, in which case we aren't. Or are we? And on we go, for years and years, until the last Remainer and the last Brexiteer are locked together in an arid hellscape, fighting to the death for the last word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage