Skip to main content

Coastalblog's belated pitch for the wellness market

So the end of the year is nigh, possibly also the world, but fairly certainly the year, provided we manage to make it through the next week or so, and I think most readers will agree that 2019 has made for fairly grim viewing. The 2018 season was bad enough, but 2019 has basically been a series of increasingly unpleasant plot twists; in fairness, the shark was jumped back in 2017, with that unbelievable call-an-election-from-an-unlosable-position-and-then-nearly-lose-it plotline (though I wouldn't have minded that one getting an airing again), everything since then has been increasingly unrealistic, as the showrunners have leapt for ever more implausible narrative arcs in order to keep the show on the road.

Now, last year I started one of my last blogs of the year in similar vein, only to then turn it into a number of reasons to be cheerful. I started this particular blog a few days ago in a fairly grim mood (trying to get round to doing anything other than work at this time of year is fairly impossible when you'd re in my line of work) and wrote a few hundred words abusing this notion and writing some fairly cynical stuff about tapping into the zeitgeist by trying to monetise my anxiety (hence the title, which, for some reason, I've kept). Coming back to them this morning, with a few minutes peace and quiet to do a little writing before the family wake up, I deleted the lot, it was fairly mean-spirited and not terribly good writing (though there was a good line about my YouTube channel promoting Mindful Relaxation techniques, which generally features me mainlining Cotes du Rhone whilst weeping furiously at a crossword which I'll never solve, I reckon I'd get viewers if it were a thing).

The truth is that I don't see an enormous amount to be cheerful about at the minute. But a few days on from writing what I originally put I don't feel quite as furious as I did then, possibly the season's got to me a little and knocked a few edges off, possibly it's the slight hysteria brought on by relentless hordes of diners and countless hours stood at a stove, maybe it's a sense of relief at having got all shopping and card sending sorted, and all the stuff for the dinner sat safely in the fridge (one plus point of professional cooking - having walk-in fridges to stash stuff in). But for whatever reason I thought sod it, enough hectoring and enough anger for the time being. There'll be time enough for both next year (and it will be necessary next year, because holding this administration to account with the majority they now have is going to take some doing), and there's no time for it now.

And the feeling I got as I deleted the swathes of bitter, angry text was one largely of relief, which is, I suppose, a lesson of some sort or another, a trite little festive homily to ping out into the ether, something about letting anger go, I don't know. Make of it what you will. You can't do much good for others if you're not being good to yourself, maybe. Or something like that. Whatever it is, I felt better afterwards, and I hope that you are, too (you've certainly been spared some fairly atrocious writing, so count that as a win).

So now I'm going to go and get my whites out of the wash and head off back into the din of the kitchen, at a rough calculation there's probably still about 1200 plates of food to send out between now and Christmas day, and I'm not going to get owt done sat round grumbling on the internet. Best crack on, then, I'll see you in a bit.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage