Skip to main content

Steak, and only steak

I have been trying to steer clear of thinking too much about politics for a short while, for the sake of my mental health as anything else, at least until Friday's out of the way; but I did think that graceless, petty and embarrassing display from Farage and his ghastly cadre of Brexiteers yesterday was worth a comment or two. Though, in the spirit of trying to avoid getting too political, I'll mostly be talking about steak.

But first, politics. Inevitably, the Brexit debate has curdled into stereotypes as the two sides became ever more entrenched. On one side, we have the Remainers, easily characterised as shrill, condescending, sneering, failing to understand that their attitude won't convert anyone else from the other side (as an excellent and perspicacious article from Rafael Behr considers here), on the other the Brexiteers, myopic, blinkered, angry, self-satisfied, convinced that they're right in the face of all prevailing evidence.

Of course, as is always the case with stereotypes, these are crude line drawings, but it was difficult not to watch Farage et al's cringeworthy display without feeling all the old bigotries of the debate starting to bubble up. It was the absolute worst of the pro-Brexit argument in a nutshell, childish, points-scoring, obsessed with nationalism (and, in its use of tiny, cheap, mass-produced flags, unwittingly symbolic) The sight of a line of fat white blokes sporting matching Union Jack ties added a level of grim amusement to the whole sorry spectacle, but when contrasted with the dignified and regretful statements by Michel Barnier and Ursula von der Leyen it essentially made me feel a deep shame that these overgrown children were ostensibly representing this country.

It put me in mid of a group of people who, in my professional life, aren't the bane of my life as such, but are something of a minor irritation. The steak people, and their closely aligned allies, the no veg people. Now, I should point out that this is purely my own personal prejudice, but let me explain to a degree.

It is yet another stereotype (I'm clearly only dealing in them today, seems fitting, in these cartoonish and simplistic times) that chefs routinely sneer at people who order their steak well done. This is not, in my experience, the case. Indeed, in the middle of a busy dinner service, a well done steak is a boon to the pressurised chef, a quick sear, and you can pop it in the bottom of the oven and forget about it for a bit, before bringing it up to well done when resting it. Much more like hard work is medium, because half of the people who order medium actually want medium well ("Medium, but with no pink in" is a common request, I just do it on the well side of medium well, and it's always "lovely, perfect"). No, my objection to steak isn't its done-ness, it's more the paucity of imagination which ordering steak implies. There are any number of other dishes on my menu, many of which have taken years to get right, nearly all of which are far more interesting to eat than steak. Steak you can cook at home, indeed, I often do. I certainly wouldn't order it to eat out because a) there's always something more interesting on the menu and b) I'm acutely aware of what restaurant mark-ups are, and I'm not paying for a steak out when I can get a better quality one from my butcher for a fraction of the cost. If I'm going out for a meal, I want something I couldn't do myself easily at home.

But okay, okay, I'm getting a little snobbish here, a little sneering, a little, dare I say it, Remainer. So I'll narrow it down slightly. Possibly you've been looking forward to a meal out as a treat, and for you, a steak is what you want. That's fine. I have no problem with that. It's a little dull, but fair enough, it's what you fancy.

But every time? EVERY SINGLE TIME? These are the people who furrow my professional brow, the ones who make me consider throwing in the apron. Yes, it's a service industry, and yes, you serve what the customer wants (within reason), but the Steak People, the People Who Will Only Eat Steak, they are the enemy of all that is holy, and they, dear reader, are definitely a bit hard-Brexity, the sort of dogmatic, uncompromising narrow-mindedness which characterises the Farages of this world (with pepper sauce). They're the ones you want to shake gently and say hey, other things are nice, too. Try something else, there's a whole world out there. You don't always have to have chips.

The only time these people don't eat steak is a Sunday, when they eat roast beef. You can always tell when one's in because the check asks for no vegetables and extra roast potatoes (this, to stretch the metaphor somewhat, is leaving the single market whilst keeping tariff free trade). That's right, actual grown-ass adults who wrinkle their nose at the thought of vegetables, people who've never moved past the palate of a six year old. People who, more pertinently, have been allowed not to, have been pandered to. These are people who've never been told that if you don't eat your greens then you can't have pudding. Spoiled, indulged and left with an incredibly narrow idea of what constitutes a nice meal, and therefore, people with no joy in their lives, no sense of adventure (they have spiritual cousins: the crap beer fans, we had a guy in on NYE who sulked all night because we didn't have John Smiths, and so he stayed sober as a result, we've had people refuse to stay because we don't have Carling), people whose parochial view of food stretches, I suspect, to their politics. Brexiteers, in other words.

Because if Farage, Widdecombe and the rests antics yesterday resembled anything at all, it was the crowing of a spoiled child who's parent has crumbled and bought that toy they said they wouldn't, it was schoolyard, it was pathetic, it was boorish. It was refusing to eat anything but steak, and god help you if you want me to eat a vegetable, and as such entirely self-defeating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage