Skip to main content

A brief moment of calm

Sometimes, there is a particular sort of stillness before things start becoming lively. The hackneyed phrase would, I suppose, be "the calm before the storm" but I'm not overly sure that that's the right one. Like most overworked drudges of phrases it has lost something of its original meaning and become universally applicable. In my case, I had such a moment of stillness yesterday, and it's hopefully not a storm that's coming.

I should explain. I've spent the last couple of weeks of my personal lockdown pottering about getting ready to open up a pub. This was not something I expected to be doing at the start of lockdown. Another overused phrase, though one of more recent vintage, is "life comes at you fast", grammatical pedantry aside it's a reasonable enough way of describing my recent change of circumstances. I've moved from employee to employer with bewildering speed. Owning a business again wasn't remotely part of my thinking a few short months ago.

(but were they short? there have been reams of column inches devoted to the curiously elastic nature of lockdown time - the lengthy days of baking heat which marked its first weeks seem now to belong to a different order of time altogether, almost as if they were part of an alternative history, a mass hallucination. Can it possibly be that we spent April and May doing nothing but going on long walks, lolling listlessly in the heat, it's like a fragment of existence taken entirely out of context, or at least, that's how it feels to me)

But I'm older now, and I 've learned a few things, and I plan and prepare properly and hopefully, when we open today, I'll be as ready as I possibly could be. So what I experienced yesterday, sat in my empty pub, compiling a few spreadsheets of suppliers costs, my stint in the kitchen done and my prep list knocked off, wasn't, hopefully, so much the calm before the storm as a brief interregnum marking the transition from one phase of life to another.

What it was, though, was a moment of utter peace. There is a curious quality to sunlight when you've been predicted rain all day. It's a fugitive light, a particularly joyful golden, dodging its way down between clouds that aren't quite as all encompassing as they thought, and as it slid through the (my!) windows and warmed up the (my!) wooden table as I sat looking at columns of figures it was lulling and soothing, there was birdsong in the garden, the distant sound of a lawnmower, opening was still an abstract concept, I was about to stroll home, have a glass of wine and some dinner with my family.

And now it's the morning, and opening is very much not an abstract concept. I'll finish this blog, go and have some breakfast, and then a new life begins. Or rather, a new chapter. Maybe yet another mutation in the content of this hoary old blog, which has been puttering faithfully along with me for seventeen years and in that time has moved from spleen venting to absurdist in-jokes, stuff about writing, various essays and then back to mostly spleen venting. Possibly another shift in the tone of the content is coming, it's hard to say for certain.

What is certain is that I've got a fully-booked pub, walk-in fridges groaning with food and a full cellar. Time to see what happens next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage