Skip to main content

Increment by increment

 I don't know about you, but I tell myself quite a lot of lies.

It's a habit so deeply ingrained in me that I have no idea when it started, but for as long as I can recall I have told myself three absolute whoppers on a more or less daily basis. 

1)There's plenty of time for that.

2) It'll probably work out okay because it's me.

3) Yes, yes, I'll definitely get that done today.

Probably, unless you're a spectacularly together individual, you tell yourself something similar (or maybe none of you do, and my idea of "spectacularly together" is humanity's benchmark for "normal" but, given the conduct of various people in public life, I deduce that's probably not the case), in many cases it's sensible. If you didn't lie to yourself in this manner then you'd be in a permanent state of panic at not getting things done, and a bottomless well of despair at your own failure to act in a manner befitting a functioning human. I, decidedly, do not, I'm also remarkably good, when getting to the end of the day, at noting my failure, shrugging, and telling myself that I'll do better tomorrow.

Reader, I rarely do better tomorrow. 

While telling myself these things may be excellent for my sense of relative equanimity and overall mental health, it's a pretty useless strategy when it comes to actually getting anything done, which is why, over the years, I've evolved a system whereby I set myself far too much to do, reasoning that even if I fall short, I'll be a lot further along than I was. I've written here in the past about setting myself targets for such things as miles run, books read, etc, but that's only part of it. I do it with pretty much everything.

For example, as I type, there's a notebook detailing jobs I need to do today (this blog, you'll be unsurprised to hear, is one of them: never let the opportunity to put a tick in the done column, that's what I say) next to me on my desk. There are three columns, jobs that need doing in the house, jobs that need doing in the pub, things I just want to get done for myself. There are lots of jobs crossed out, and lots that aren't. Some of those jobs have been on there for a few weeks, others only a few minutes. The point being that as long as I keep crossing the odd one out here or there I feel I'm getting somewhere.

This, of course, is the fourth big lie I tell myself. Every once in a while I'll re-write the list, promising myself that some of the longer-term entries are next. And, quite often, they are, but this incremental approach is, I increasingly recognise, probably not going to get much done any time soon.

This is a minor problem as, to my mild consternation, I find myself to be fairly busy as a general rule. you'd imagine, what with Lockdown 2: Lockdown with a Vengeance, still being a thing for us hospitality types in Tier 3 I would be revelling in all this extra free time to clear my list of jobs. An assertion to which I laugh hollowly, while staring into the middle distance. With this much free time, all excuses vanish and yet, somehow, the work expands to fill the space. I'm still up at the pub every day, but being home much more just means I see more that needs doing, and seeing as I'm the only bugger in the place it looks like it falls to me to do it.

This brings me back to lie number 1, the idea that there's plenty of time. Wiser heads than I have noted the peculiar malleability of time over this most curious of years, when months take days and minutes take weeks. I would note that once the boys are dropped off at school and I, instead of going to work, return home to eye up my list it seems that there are uncountable hours ahead of me until, all of a sudden, there's five minutes and somehow I'm going to be late for the school run. It's a rum old do. So, slowly, but surely, I'm starting to unlearn the habits of a lifetime and actually do stuff when there's no immediate pressing need. Like a lab rat responding to new stimuli, I'm having to readjust my expectations. Counterintuitively, it's easier when I'm working. In my work days I've got two blocks of time: first thing in the morning and a brief window in the afternoon in which to get things done. So I do. But as the formless days stretch ahead of me, it's far easier to procrastinate. Lie number 1 is a beguiling one.

Lie 2 is, of course, the worst sort of monstrous exceptionalism. Humans are solipsistic buggers (or at least, I am), everyone starring in their own movie, and it's easy to imagine happy endings for yourself. Unfortunately, it has the advantage of a weight of evidence. Most things do seem to work out okay. As you can't prove a negative and you have no way of knowing what would have happened if you'd done other things you don't know if things could have worked out better. And you'll never find out.

As to the third Lie, well, that's largely what this blog's about. Inching your way along, sadly, doesn't cut the mustard. Sometimes, you've just got to look at the list and have it all crossed off by the close of the day. When, in another life, I taught creative writing, one of the pearls of advice that we drummed into our students heads (even more important than "stop trying to make everything rhyme") was that there's no substitute for just doing it. We'd call it being "writing fit". Basically, if you just crack on, sooner or later you get better at it, conversely, if you moon about waiting for it to happen to you, then you'll get precisely nowhere. As Picasso probably said, Inspiration exists, but it better find you working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage