Skip to main content

It's my England, too

 In my more paranoid moments, I do sometimes wonder if the Universe is largely a joke at my expense.

(Yes, I am aware of my privilege, health, status, all the things I need to check before starting with such an absurd line, I know, but I imagine that we all feel like this at times, you know what I mean)

The Tuesday before last was just such a moment, one of those moments where the fates conspire and a moment which should have been sublime, was rendered, well, less so. The Universe went ahahaha, don't imagine you can have nice things.

I refer, of course, to the sodding football.

I am, for my sins, a football fan. Not of the every two years kind, but a card-carrying sad case, wedded to the fortunes of Tottenham Hotspur and, to a lesser extent, the national side. I always affect not to be arsed about England games, but, at every international tournament , the old excitement rises, the proustian rush of memory, of summers long past, and before you know it I'm screaming at the telly along with my similarly afflicted son.

And of course, as anyone with even a passing interest knows, the story of England in tournament football, is the story of losing to the Germans, also anyone else half-decent, but particularly them. For an England fan of my vintage, it's the heartbreak of Italia 90, compounded by Gazza's inexplicable inability to get on the end of the cross in 96, and Lampard's goal that wasn't in 2010 (the last one didn't hurt quite so much, as we were palpably rubbish).

It's also the story of England failing to make much impression, as players who are sublime for their clubs flail around like eleven strangers at a silent disco the second they pull the national shirt on. To watch this England team progress has been an experience unlike any other. But I digress.

Having spent so long waiting for a tournament win over Germany, you'd have thought elation would have been the primary emotion I felt, and it was, for a bit. That was before the shame took over. You've seen, no doubt, the pictures of the young German fan crying, and you've doubtless also seen the shameful mockery poured on her by crowing England fans. You've heard the booing of the anthems, you've heard the booing of the taking of the knee.

This blog could also have been called "This is why we can't have nice things."

I can never fully enjoy an England win because part of my brain is always preoccupied with the thought that somewhere some pretty terrible people are enjoying it too, and that doesn't sit well with me. Likewise, I was enjoying the unheard of joy of winning a semi-final when I saw this thread, where a Danish fan details the various crudities, threats and assaults perpetrated on him and his family by England fans, hearing them chant "we're gonna rape Italy", before I heard about the dickhead shining a laser pointer into the eyes of Kasper Schmeichel.

I hear about things like this and I want us to lose, and it's not fair. For some reason, English football attracts a group of people whose behaviour disgraces the nation. You don't see it at the cricket, you don't see it at the rugby, Union or League, yes there are pissed up arseholes wherever you go in the country, but only the football seems to bring them out in such ruinous numbers.

I don't know the reason for this, I still hold to the belief that most people are alright when you get to know them, but it's a horrible irony that, at a time when the England team is something to be proud of, a diverse group of socially conscious young men with a thoughtful manager, embodying some of the best things about us as a country, elements (and they are sizable elements) of the fanbase still stand for the absolute worst aspects of our national psyche: drunkenness, xenophobia, jingoism, nationalism, brutalism.

I'm tired of the "only a small element" argument. It's been "only a small element" for my entire lifetime, embarrassing us as they trash yet another European town centre. It's been "only a small element" singing "Ten German Bombers" and "No surrender to the IRA" for as long as I've been aware that football was a thing. It's long past time "only a small element" became "absolutely no-one, because this is appalling behaviour which needs to get in the bin."

Because it's my England too, and it's the England of a lot of people who can celebrate a win without getting pissed and punching a foreigner, it's the England of people who don't feel the need to boo the opposition's anthem, or, for that matter, their own team, and I'm fed up of feeling ambivalent about them because some of my fellow countrymen are a waste of valuable oxygen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage