Skip to main content

I haven't seen Saltburn

I haven't seen Saltburn. And that's okay.

I don't say this to seem in any sense superior, contrary to some impressions I may give, I don't set a great deal of store by the cultural cachet of what media people consume. I haven't seen The Traitors either, not because I sneer at that sort of thing, more because I just haven't. Judging from some of the discourse surrounding it, it seems I'm missing out. Ah well.

In fact, of all the big things that everyone simply has to see of the last year I managed just the one (Barbie, since you ask  It was okay).

This blog isn't really about not seeing Saltburn, well, it is, in part, but only in that not seeing it is a necessary function of the wider observation, which is that discourse is now so pervasive that one simply doesn't need to see these big cultural events.

I've spent the first few weeks of the year on jury service, not really a barrel of laughs, and I am very much not allowed to talk about it, well, the relevant bits, anyway. One of the trials I was on was a particularly depressing affair, and when, late on a Friday afternoon, we were sent back to the jury room as some point of law was being argued in our absence the conversation, collectively eager to not dwell on the case, turned round to what things had been watched recently.

One of my fellow jurors made a remark (I forget precisely what) about Saltburn and I, not having watched it, but being well aware of the content of key scenes, laughed. This was taken as knowledge that I'd watched it, I couldn't be arsed explaining that I hadn't. As it is currently "a thing" various other jurors asked about it, my fellow and I assured them that if they were if a delicate disposition, then they probably didn't want to watch it.

The point is that I was able to talk easily and fluently about something I haven't even seen because when the media is saturated with something that it seems to have collectively decided is having a moment, it's quite hard to avoid it. I imagine that the soundtrack consisting of songs which were parts of the lives of said media when they themselves were younger and prettier might have something to do with it. As I'm sat here writing this, Woman's Hour are doing an article about how Princess Superstar has now "made it" due to "Perfect" being on there, which is odd, because I can remember it perfectly well from the first time round, thanks. Likewise, Sophie Ellis-Bextor's "Murder in the Dancefloor" is having a revival thanks to its inclusion. But again, I'm thinking, did it ever really go away? It's a fairly well-known tune, I imagine it's got a pretty long half-life on radio 2.

I don't need to see Saltburn because, in a way, I already have. It is recent culture eating and referencing itself. With some self-conscious gross out bits to generate some buzz. I know the plot, I know the themes and I've inadvertently absorbed discourse about the subtext of something in which my interest is, at best, passing. I might get round to it at some point, but I've got a list of things to watch which is even longer than my list of things to read, so I don't imagine I will, meanwhile imagine my amusement back in the jury room on the Monday morning when six of my fellows had watched it over the weekend and "You were right". 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage