Skip to main content

Oh fuck it's Mother's Day

There are a few days in the calendar which Hospitality staff would prefer to avoid if at all possible. The days when the people who don't really know how to behave in restaurants come out to play, the overbooked days, the days when people walk in and are frankly astonished, nay, outraged that no table is available for them.

New Year's Eve? Yes, to an extent, though that's generally mitigated by high prices, the Christmas season in general is a cockpit for terrible behaviour on the part of the general public, so NYE doesn't really stand out so much as you'd think. Valentine's Day is always a shithouse, not only because all of your tables becomes tables of 2, so the amount of people you do is generally quite disappointing, but because it's normally booked by blokes, so doesn't fill up until the last second (yes, yes, a terrible generalisation, I know, also true). But it does have the upside of there generally being a spectacular break-up to gawp at, plus the odd table of three to idly speculate about.

Round these parts, Grand National weekend is often a wise one to book off, characterised as it generally is by some breathtakingly poor behaviour and lots of beefy blokes wanting well done steak. There are plenty who swear by (or at) Christmas Eve being one to duck, and even a few who shudder with dread at the approach of any bank holiday (May's normally the worst, with everyone a bit giddy at the appearance of sunshine).

But the one that tops them all, the most relentless, bone-crushing, bone-headed bastard of them all is Mother's Day.

Busiest day of the year, hands down. We've been sold out for a fortnight and the phone's still ringing more or less constantly with requests for tables. I've got a reserve list longer than the actual amount of bookings. All to the good, with my owner's head on, it's a much needed shot in the arm after the drear, joyless stretch of January and February (plus, my cellar cooler's packed in, and it's nigh on four grand for a new one, so no complaints here).

With my chef head on, though, it's a day to be dreaded, even after all these years, there's nothing quite so dispiriting as looking at a full check-board and knowing that, no matter what you do, it's staying like that for the next seven hours without pause. And also knowing that, how can I put this politely? There are going to be a LOT of knobheads.

Because Mother's Day is one of those days when People Who Don't Usually Go Out To Eat feel compelled to go out to eat. And when they do, they generally find much that is to their dissatisfaction. The price, normally, because "This only costs ten pounds at the Toby".

Yes mate, there's a reason for that.

Their belief that we should all be working for free tends to go hand in hand with a deep suspicion of anything on the menu which isn't screamingly dull. Which *buffs nails modestly* we do try not to be. There is a certain sort of customer that takes deep offence to departures from what they perceive to be the norm, who will disdain mains that don't come with chips, sniff uncertainly at anything even remotely seasoned, raise their hands to high heaven at the thought of Hummus. 

If all this makes me sound like a screaming snob then, well, yes, I am, I assume you're new round here, but lucky you there's a twenty year archive of how dreadful I am that you can dig into; but I also know whereof I speak, and *coughcough* years at the Hospo coalface, sending out mushy peas with a roast because that's all an actual grown man will eat, or having perfectly cooked veg returned because it "isn't cooked" has taught me that Mother's Day is one of those where you've simply got to grin and bear it, it'll be over in a bit and in a few days your normal customers will come back.

So, as the day in question hoves into view, and the pub echoes with the sound of my patient, wonderful front of house team explaining that no, you can't have a table of 12, sorry, I shall do what I always do, prep up. More of everything. Take the stock levels you think you need and double them. My butchers and veg guys love it, my fridge engineer worries. Be nice to your ma this Mother's Day, she's very probably a wonderful woman, but be nice to your waiting on staff, too, and for the love of God make sure you buy the kitchen a drink.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage