Skip to main content

Not great!

That's all it said, and I spent a while frowning at the screen.

What wasn't great?

Part and parcel of working in hospitality is you get complaints. It's very much the law of averages, you serve enough people, sooner or later someone's going to be unhappy about something. You can mitigate this as much as possible, be on your game at all times, have robust checking procedures and do your best to rectify errors, this will help, but sooner or later you'll get a complaint  That's just people .

Some of these complaints are legitimate, mistakes can be made, you apologise, you offer to compensate in some form, some people are fine, some can never be mollified. Again, that's just people.

Most of them are as a result of a perception gap between you and the customer. As a pub, one of our most regular types of complainer is the Person That's Come To The Wrong Pub And Is A Bit Out Of Their Depth And This Is Somehow Your Fault, a prime example of this being a five top last week who asked how long we'd "been this posh" (we are not, there are workies at the bar, there is a burger on the menu) and then kicked off when they asked which lagers we do because "I've never heard of any of them" (imagine, if you are in a position of ignorance, thinking this was someone elses fault). In the interests of fairness, we do sometimes get thus perception gap from the other end, people who've read reviews, seen some of (admittedly, a bit cheffier) things we do and come expecting Moor Hall. Again, no, pub. Don't mind if front of house wear comfortable clothes, dogs are welcome, yes it can get a bit loud. 

You can have entertaining perception gaps about the same thing, I have received complaints about the pub being too hot and too cold on the same day, for example. Too loud/too quiet. Fish too crispy/not crispy enough. 

Some of the complaints are just idiotic, and I'm getting better at learning to ignore them, it's a journey.

This one, though, was cryptic. Just those two words, and that slightly irritating exclamation mark.

Another part of the job, sadly, is social media. Every other bugger has an Instagram, so it is incumbent upon you to do so too (I draw the line at TikTok), and when my FOH manager asked if I'd make her some lunch, it turned out quite pretty, so I stuck it up with something or other about making sure the staff are properly fed. Cue various pleasant comments, ohh looks lovely, ooh lucky staff etc, so far so very much the usual.

Then, from someone without even a profile pic, a mysterious Pam Dodd, who simply said "Not great!". This perplexed me somewhat, because unless Aimie's changed her name, I was pretty sure no-one called Pam Dodd had ever eaten this dish, as I kind of made it up as I went along. What wasn't great?

Reader, naturally, I asked her, I have, as yet, no reply, so I am left with this ineffable mystery, what's not great?

This is like toothache to me, I am a fairly conscientious sort of a bloke, this is my livelihood, and I genuinely do want everyone to leave having had a nice time. So what was "Not great!"?

Was Pam merely critiquing my photography skills ( she may have hade a point were this the case)? Did she object to the plating? (Fair do's, it was staff lunch, but the salad looked quite pretty)?

Was she making a wider comment about the pub in general? Me in particular? The food? Does she have a deep and abiding dislike of Lancashire Cheese Tart? Does she loathe green plates? Has she been here, hated it, and chose the medium of a facebook comment underneath a picture of someone else's tea to express her displeasure? Is she one of those types that get annoyed when people have breaks?

I fear I shall never know, but Pam, if you're reading this, I'm so sorry, whatever it was that wasn't great, my sincerest apologies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage

D-Day Dos and Don'ts for Dunces

Oh Rishi. Lad.  You have, by now, almost certainly become aware of the Prime Minister(for the time being)'s latest gaffe, as he returned home early from D-Day commemoration events in France, in order to "concentrate on an interview" which, as it turns out was already pre-recorded. There's been a fair bit of outrage, the word "disrespectful" is being bandied about a lot.  The word I'd use is "stupid". It is often said of the Brits that we have no religion but that the NHS is the closest thing we have to one. This, I think, is incorrect, because the fetishisation of WWII is to my mind, far closer to being our object of national veneration.  I understand why, last time we were relevant, fairly straightforwardly evil oppo, quite nice to be the good guys for a change, I absolutely get why the British public worship at the altar of a conflict which, I note, was a very long time ago. I think it's a bit daft, personally, but I understand it. So you

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T