Skip to main content

Very much a pound bakery sort of a town

Now, as many of you will be aware, your humble correspondent earns his corn in part by knocking out fodder. I chef, in other words. I'm reliably informed that I'm reasonable enough at it; I'd like to think so, I try to take a bit of pride in what I do, anyhow. I think it's pretty good, and I have a small core of very happy, very regular, customers.

Note the small part.

Now, I owe a lot to ormskirk. I owe it my higher education and my postgraduate eucation. I owe it my ability to lecture, I owe it a home, approx. ten thousand anecdotes and one book of poems. But, of late, dear old Ormy has been trying my patience somewhat.

This is a town notable for its preponderance of "bakers". Amusingly enough, some of them refer to themselves as "craft bakers". I was unaware that heating up bussed in chicken and mushroom slices qualified as "craft bakery" but we'll let that slide for now. Recently a new "baker" emerged, refreshing in its directness and honesty. Good readers of Coastalblog, I give you Pound Bakery.

That's right people. Sandwiches? That'll be one whole pound! Two ersatz pasties? One pound to you squire! Eight barm cakes? By jiminy, it's a quid! A bacon barm? Go on, guess. By george, I think he's got it, one hundred new pence. Roll up!

Now some of you may not be recoiling in horror at this point, you may be sipping your sprite/lagavulin/smoothy/green tea/cheeky vimto (delete as applicable) wondering what on earth I'm driving at. So okay, some maths.

Most food retail operates at over 66% G.P. That is to say more 66% of what they sell is profit on stock, as it needs to be to pay overheads, rates, staff etc and factor wastage in. Therefore, if you buy two "pasties" (as a cornishman I shudder to type it even in inverted commas) for one pound then (let's be generous, let's say it's 66%, I'm prepared to bet actual cash money that their G.P's closer to the 80% mark, but for argument's sake...) the actual food cost of those "pasties" is 17.5 pence each, probably significantly less. Of this about four pence is pastry, tuppence dried onion and seasoning, leaving you with eleven penn'orth of meat. The cheapest mince retails at around the £3 a kilo mark, and we're talking the worst, most tube-filled and anonymous mince here. Eleven pence of that gets you about 30g of meat. Your average "bakery" pastry weighs about 200g. Work it out. Have a think. then throw up.

So how's it doing in our proud market town? Our little abode with housing through the roof and expensive clothes shops up the wazoo? Queues out the fucking door, mate. Much to coastalblog's grim amusement a woman holding a grand's worth of handbag came out of there this very morning ramming a frankly distressing barm in her gob.

So, Ormskirk, you'll pay through the nose for clobber, for housing, for cars, for anything people can look at, point at, measure. But you'll only pay a quid for your lunch. You people are fucking weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage