Skip to main content

Epic trolling

Aside from a few gentle explanations on facebook about why parping "All Lives Matter!" and then expecting a biscuit is idiotic*, I've largely kept quiet on the BLM issue. This is due to a number of reasons, but chief amongst these was I thought that the last thing the situation needed was the opinions of yet another middle aged white man.

I may well be wrong about this, and I've seen plenty of arguments that suggest that if you're not vocally pro, then you're tacitly accepting the status quo. This has some merit, but I still rather felt that getting blogging about it would be jumping on the bandwagon to an extent (I also though that it would make for a fairly short blog. Black Lives Matter. Tearing down statues of racists and slavers is fine. Don't @ me).

Official inquiries into racism though? Now that's bang up my alley. Particularly when we've just had two in the last two years. There's little I enjoy more than the sight of a spot of brazen politicking, and this one's right up there. A neck so brass you could sell it for scrap. Announcing an official inquiry is, as any fule kno, government speak for "kick into the longest fucking grass you can find", and if that didn't put protestor's backs up enough, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson then decided to stick Munira Mirza in charge. A woman on record as saying there's no such thing as institutional racism, and who opines that previous inquiries have led to a "culture of grievance."

As trolling goes, this is pretty epic. It's like getting the animatronic corpse of Jimmy Savile to head up a taskforce looking into safeguarding in hospitals. And it worked like a charm, as platoons of the infuriated  clambered out of the trenches and went on the offensive. The debate was no longer about racism, it was about Mirza (who, as a British Asian, has a pretty good come-back to that). Another front opened up in the culture war.

Those fulminating against the tone-deafness of her appointment were rather missing the point. She was appointed for a number of reasons (being close to the PM being one of them), one of them being piss off the oppo. It's been a defining characteristic of any campaign that's had Dominic Cummings fingerprints on it since he first started stirring his bony fingers in the pot of national governance, and sticking his big data eye of newt in. Lynton Crosbie, the Tories PR attack dog of recent vintage, used to talk about dead cats. You have one story, you want to distract from it, you throw a dead cat on the table. Suddenly everyone's talking about the cat. In the modern Conservative Party (and to an even greater degree the modern Republican party) this has been weaponised to a refined and unholy degree.

It's a dangerous game that Johnson's playing, but one that he and his team have calculated will win out for them in the long run. The central premise of BLM is impeccable. The facts bear it out. BAME people have died disproportionately from COVID-19. BAME people are over-represented in prisons and under-represent in public life. These are unassailable, demonstrable facts. Drag it into the wider culture war, though, and suddenly all's to play for. Hence absurd arguments about old TV shows and minor monuments. If you keep everybody angry then they can't pin you down on detail. It becomes a shouting match, debate is neutralised.

This has been the key to Trump's success. Repeated dog-whistling his base has effectively turned any issue on US politics into a binary one. If you're anti Trump you're anti America. If you're pro gun control you're anti America. If you're pro immigration rights you're anti America. As any actual human with lived experience knows, very few issues are binary. But that doesn't matter. What's important is to keep the atmosphere so febrile that, all of a sudden, norms we took for granted just two or three years ago can be violated and nobody bats an eyelid. Looked at dispassionately, Trump should have been gone any number of times. But for as long as he keeps "his" side passionate in their loathing of the opposition, he can carry on. A blind eye is turned to his monstrous incompetence and rapacity.

So it is with the Johnson / Cummings axis, who quickly drew BLM into the wider division which has ruled since the 2016 referendum. Opinions about statues broke fairly precisely down Brexit lines, and as Johnson can keep "us" hating "them" the longer his side will turn a blind eye to his many manifest failings. At least, that's the calculation. I'm unconvinced it will work long enough to secure him another term. Death is a fairly unforgiving metric.In Cummings' case it doesn't have to work that long, it's a war that he can use to hide his real targets: the civil service, the BBC, the Supreme Court. Dismantling the great machineries of State is the real name of the game here, it's why he was put in place and why he has to stay there come what may. It's why a disastrous, vulture capitalist No Deal will be hurtled through at breakneck speed while we're all yelling at each other about Churchill, and if a few black people or trans-rights activists get hurt in the process, so be it.

* Because nobody's saying they don't. And because honking "All Lives Matter!" is effectively shutting down debate. You don't yell at someone campaigning to save the Amazon that this means they want to burn Epping Forest to the ground. Wind your bloody neck in.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage