Skip to main content

No-shows, deposits and trust

Sigh. It's an old story. A fully-booked restaurant, a busy day, and in the middle of it, like a gap in a row of teeth, a table that,for whatever reason, hasn't turned up. Or, in the case of the Father's Day just gone, three tables.

I've blogged about this before, it's a recurring problem that bedevils the hospitality industry. As I observed in the last post, it doesn't bother me so much for the financial hit we take (annoying though that is), the staff will still get paid and I've never known a kitchen that didn't jump at the chance to have a quieter half-hour than they were expecting. I had a good day on Sunday, I took enough money, the few hundred quid I missed off the absent tables was mitigated by a few walk-ins I was able to squeeze in.

What's annoying is you remember all the people you knocked back.All the times you said sorry we're fully booked, the people who wanted to come,and couldn't. Some of them were regulars,and any hospitality worker worth their wage hates to disappoint a regular. It was with this in mind that I put up a small facebook post (in retrospect, probably an error) gently reminding people that, if they can't make it, please let us know.

I find myself, I confess, uneasy at the response, where a lot of commenters were far more annoyed about it than I am (but that's facebook for you, I guess, where people go to be angry), and expressed their displeasure towards my no-shows in terms stronger than I would have used. I didn't intend (though should have expected) a variety of responses along the "people nowadays" lines (as if this hasn't always happened), as well as more generalised deploring of standards slipping everywhere etc. Many of the respondents, well-meaningly, advocated me taking deposits.

This is not something I particularly want to do. Maybe I am being naive, and possibly regular Coastalblog readers will choke on their cornflakes when they read this next sentence, but my natural inclination is to think the best of people, until they show me otherwise.I don't know what reason the tables that didn't show up have. Maybe they just forgot, true, but it's possible that they fully intended to come, before plans were kiboshed at the last minute. In these days of suddenly having to isolate at the drop of a lateral flow test, it's plausible. And yes, we did phone them to check. One had forgotten (and was very apologetic, and I'd be prepared to bet she won't forget again), the other two didn't answer their phones.

Taking a deposit basically says I don't trust you, and that runs counter to the whole ethos of a good pub. Pubs are supposed to be egalitarian spaces, where you take people as you find them. They are called Public Houses, after all. It's the same reason I don't raise my prices on the days when you've a captive audience, Valentine's, Mother's and Father's days. Putting prices up safe in the knowledge that you'll sell out anyway strikes me as an absolute arsehole's trick, likewise the practice of selling tickets for nights like New Year's Eve. Every other day of the year,you're happy to have people walk through your door,and now you want to charge them?

Possibly this makes me a bad businessman, but I seem to be doing okay.

To me, deposits are of a piece with these moves, they're a barrier to what is supposed to be a relaxed, comfortable, informal experience.  On top of which, sometimes people just can't make it, the thought of profiting off someone else's misfortune doesn't sit well with me at all. I get all the arguments in favour, and I am not criticising those businesses who do choose to do so. If you're a forty cover restaurant that relies on a high spend per head, I'd imagine they're pretty essential. But if the weather's nice I can seat a hundred and fifty, and on any given day you can guarantee I'll have people trying to walk in, the odd table of four here or there isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

So, call me a fool to myself, but over the course of this blog, which essentially has been the written equivalent of me thinking out loud, I've talked myself out of it. No deposits it is. Come one, come all (but please do phone if you can't make it).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T