Skip to main content

Blue Sky Thinking

Not to make this sound like some portentous announcement, like a celebrity couple imagining that the wider world gives a fig for their marital status, but I have consciously uncoupled from Twitter.

It's been on the cards for a while. Ever since the world's strangest man, Elon Musk, bought it in what was the Worst Banking Decision since 2008, the entire place has been on the slide, his model of buying blue ticks and monetising clicks meaning that the most extreme, the most controversial voices were aggressively promoted, and normal discourse was largely drowned.

I'd watched in dismay as my feed grew ever more right wing, obsessed with small boats and trans issues, race and gender, and it seemed that no matter how carefully I blocked and curated, more screeching, permanently enraged right wingers were placed in front of me.

As a strategy for driving engagement, it's superficially clever. The instinct is to engage, to argue and refute, even the reasonable people I followed were quote-tweeting these morons, all "look what this arsehole is saying". The bile spread exponentially.

But, like all superficially clever ideas, it was profoundly stupid, because eventually most people go "fuck this" and decide it's not worth their time.

For me, that point came at the time of the riots, post the awful events in Southport. As a resident of Ormskirk, just down the road, it's difficult to actually convey the disgust felt locally that this horrific event was jumped on by a mix of lumpen white supremacists and coked up arseholes who were just along for the aggro, and Twitter played a huge part in fanning the flames. I couldn't in good conscience stay, my account's been silent since (I do still have it, hoping against hope for better days ahead, but, as Mrs Coastalblog regularly tuts, I do tend to hang on to things that have outlived their usefulness), particularly as Musk appeared to now be using the sight as a megaphone for his own increasingly deranged, conspiracist views.

I'd opened a Bluesky account when he first bought it, so I wandered over there, and I have to say, it's pretty great. It feels a bit more niche, a bit like the twitter of old, and it's refreshing to go onto socials and be intrigued, rather than enraged, I've rediscovered the joys of nuance, and the joy of posting something without a load of replies calling you a "Jew-lover cuck" or whatever it is those weirdoes trying to fight the culture wars are currently obsessed by.

It has its drawbacks, it ain't Twitter in terms of reach, and I do miss a lot of people I used to follow/was followed by, and it doesn't have that sense of "the news is breaking here" which is why twitter was such catnips for current affairs junkies back in the day. But it's a lot more peaceful, so I think I'm going to hang out there for a bit. If you wish to find me, I have a fairly easily searchable name, see you in a bit maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage

D-Day Dos and Don'ts for Dunces

Oh Rishi. Lad.  You have, by now, almost certainly become aware of the Prime Minister(for the time being)'s latest gaffe, as he returned home early from D-Day commemoration events in France, in order to "concentrate on an interview" which, as it turns out was already pre-recorded. There's been a fair bit of outrage, the word "disrespectful" is being bandied about a lot.  The word I'd use is "stupid". It is often said of the Brits that we have no religion but that the NHS is the closest thing we have to one. This, I think, is incorrect, because the fetishisation of WWII is to my mind, far closer to being our object of national veneration.  I understand why, last time we were relevant, fairly straightforwardly evil oppo, quite nice to be the good guys for a change, I absolutely get why the British public worship at the altar of a conflict which, I note, was a very long time ago. I think it's a bit daft, personally, but I understand it. So you

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T