Skip to main content

Get the message

Some of you may recall that quite a long time ago I blogged about a Lincolnshire schoolboy, Alan Penell, who was imprisoned for stabbing a schoolmate to death with a lock knife. What he did, I argued, was reprehensible but not all that surprising. For a small group of people school is unmitigating hell, a weird place with shifting, indefinable rule-sets where the unfortunate can find themselves ostracised and humiliated to the point of absolute desperation. The only surprise is that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Guess what?. The ineivitability of this is as depressing as the actuality, and the root of the problem lies in the parent's response. "The bullying was blown completely out of proportion." Yeah, maybe to you it was, maybe to all his contemporaries who took such delight in it it was just a bit of fun, but to Tommy Kimpton it was a constant source of misery, a prison from which he saw no form of release.

I'm not being an apologist for his actions, any attack of this nature is reprehensible and unjustifiable, obviously. All I'm saying is it isn't surprising; and that for as long teachers and parents fail to recognise that what appears harmless to them (and to most "normal, well-adjusted people" i.e. those who never went through this sort of shit) terrorises and damages a particular type of individual to the point that they see no other way out this sort of thing is going to happen again and again.

On a slightly happier note, Blair's Commons defeat raises a couple of interesting questions. Surely voting against a bill which one would consider to be entirely within their remit is as ruinous to the Conservative's credibility as Blair's defeat is to his (it was telling, I thought that Michael Mates, Anne Widdecombe and Fatty Soames numbered amongst the abstentions). Also interesting was the number of ex-cabinet ministers amongst the Labour rebels, including a fair few who happily went along with some of Blair's more entertaining excesses whilst they were in office (Michael Meacher, Frank Dobson, Gwyneth Dunwoody, and most hilariously of all, Clare "Bomber" Short).

So, voting with your principles or voting with expediency and revenge? I'm no fan of the 90 day rule, but I'm even less of a fan on the way the Hose of Commons has conducted itself in this matter.

So congratulations to Sir Peter Tapsell, the only Conservative to vote for the Bill.
And congratulations to the Labour rebels who have consistently opposed the Bill, not just when they thought they stood a chance of giving Blair a black eye. Ormskirk's very own Rosie whatserface was a good little Blairite and toed the party line, but at least she's been consistent in doing so, so well done to her also. The whole thing stinks to high heaven

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage