Skip to main content

The great coastal round-up

Hello all. My repeated apologies for the paucity of posts, I've been working every day for the last two weeks and am generally too shattered at the end of the day. My computer time is largely limited to phd and teaching related matters at the moment. this state of affairs probably won't continue (I'm making sure I take some time off over the next couple of weeks, as well as most of january). What work, you cry? Well, I'm currently helping a couple of places out by sorting out their waiting on staff, tidying up the bar / putting various managerial stuff in order / organising booking procedures / training staff / that sort of thing. A short term solution, but an effective one. It's rather enjoyable, if I'm being honest. You all know how boringly evangelical I can get about standards of service, quality of stock and all round enjoyment of the dining experience, so it's good to get the opportunity to put some of these theories into practice with a free hand (which was what I was missing). Come the new year, however, I shall be looking for something a bit more permanent to supplement the teaching thing, so it's gratifying to note that I've got a few options to mull over, more of this later, presumably.

Unrelated matter #1 It is with great sorrow that I report to all fans of Ormskirk weirdness that the council, following the drearily predictable outcry from the lumpen masses, whipped up into something approaching religious fervour by the Advertiser, has withdrawn their planning application for the EIGHT FUCKING METRES TALL BRONZE GLOWING SEED PODS. Local opposition ranged in its reasoning from "we want something from the kiddies" to "it's not by a local designer" (this last complaint being from - wait for it - alocal designer! Who was no doubt acting in the civic interest). Coastalblog is unhappy about the council's decision, and is considering hiring ex-Liverpool F.C. manager Roy Evans to front a "save our EIGHT FUCKING METRES TALL BRONZE GLOWING SEED PODS" campaign, on the grounds that half the blokes in Ormskirk think he's a "Top Bloke", and the other half have had an "interesting time" in his shed at some point. Failing that, I'm reliably informed that Bobby Ball "will work for seeds."

Unrelated matter #2 This morning's execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams went ahead after his appeal was denied by Gov. Schwarzenegger with the words "without apology and atonement there can be no redemption." leaving aside the questionable ethics of leaving life or death decisions in the hands of a man whose mind has been irredeemably warped by Hollywood's Black and white Morality for Dummies just say that sentence to yourself in your best Schwarzenegger accent. Brr, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&