Skip to main content

Performative Patriotism

I think we've now hit the point where we can safely say that this whole flag business is getting out of hand.

Yesterday's brouhaha over the size of Robert Jenrick's flag is merely the latest example of increasingly hysterical cloth-based discourse, it's been rumbling for a while, and I find it all a little baffling.

It's caught me  quite off-guard. Growing up in the seventies, eighties and nineties,the flag wasn't something you thought about very much. It was a fact of life,but you didn't wrap yourself in it. Overt patriotism was nothing to be proud of, in fact, it was a touch embarrassing. We used to mock Americans for their loudly proclaimed allegiance to their country, it's just not the sort of thing that's done, dear boy. The only time you saw flags being waved was the last night of the Proms, or news footage of some perfectly pleasant European town being comprehensively smashed up by football hooligans.

Even when there was a Britpop led revival, it was still a bit tongue in cheek, a nod and a wink, Austin Powers; Cool Britannia, while an awful phrase, was still about a nation at ease with itself, one that could use the flag, or not, not arsed.

Safe to say that's changed.

The 2012 Olympics,that last little outburst of national pride before we turned into the world's favourite punchline, was marked by the indelible image of the future PM waving a pair of flags when he got stuck on a zip-wire. It was a foretaste of things to come.

Now you're no-one if you haven't got a pair of crossed Union Flags in every room (or Jack, if you prefer.The long cherished pub bore's contention that the Union Jack is a naval signal only has withered in the face of everyone ignoring it, and vexillologists* cheerfully accept both). Politicians compete to be surrounded by as much red white and blue as humanly possible, Keir Starmer goes flag mad in an attempt to keep up with the Tories, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's new throne room TV studio has Emperor Palpatine style drapes, even those MPs who haven't been able to get to the flag shop (Flags R Us? Flag-U-Like?Any of the shops in the Flag Quarter, really) what with lock-down have felt the need to put some Union flag bunting up when they've Zoomed in to the Commons. 

So when Charlie Stayt light heartedly mocked the size of Jenrick's flag, he wasn't, as it turns out, reading the room, well, not for some at any road. Outrage erupted in the easily outraged, and his co-host Naga Munchetty had to apologise for giggling. Quite why the permanently furious chose to train their ire upon a brown woman rather than the white man who made the joke is, of course, a complete mystery. As is the fact that none of them appeared to notice that Honest Bob's flag was upside down, so he either hates the Queen or was signalling that he was in distress. And so yet another front in our forever culture war opened up. 

All quite tiring, isn't it?

Where it took a turn for the even nastier was when the Conservative MP for Great Grimsby, Lia Nici, who is not noted for being one of Parliament's great thinkers, opined thusly: 

"Of course if people are not proud to be British, or of our flag or Queen, they don’t have to live in the U.K. Perhaps they should move to another country they prefer?"

I see. We're at the "telling brown people to go back where they came from is perfectly okay" stage of our collective national breakdown, are we? Disregarding the fact that her lot have just made it considerably more difficult to do as she advises, and glossing over the obvious jokes to be made about cancel culture, this sort of rhetoric is worrying, and not only because it suggests that we're electing people who struggle to walk and breathe at the same time.

It suggests this populist lurch to nationalism is part of an overall strategy to get people to rally together; and that is generally only done when you've got something you'd rather people weren't looking at. In the same way that Johnson took Starmer's questions about the Government's Covid strategies as some sort of personal affront even as the death toll mounted, this sudden outbreak of flag-shagging is designed to deflect and distract. To avoid scrutiny and close down debate. If you don't believe in everything we say, why don't you fuck off to France?

Because while patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, nationalism is the last refuge of the nut job. Wrapping yourself in the flag tends to mean that you haven't got anything else going for you. "My country right or wrong" has been proven, countless times through history,to be wrong.

*People who study flags. Who says this isn't educational?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage