Skip to main content

Doing nothing

For a number of reasons I rarely tend towards the autobiographical here. I'm not really sure why. Looking back to the earliest posts here, I didn't have any qualms about it then. But then, I was much more convinced of my own capacity to be interesting in those days.

Of late, this blog has been more about things than me, at least I've tried to make that the case. Writing about oneself seems to me to be a fairly spectacular act of egotism at best, monstrously gauche at worst. It occurs to me, however, that this is somewhat self-defeating since, at a stage of my life when I'm struggling to write about anything at all, this is one of the few things I am qualified to write about.

I am now, at least, relatively confident that the world doesn't need me adding my opinions to the torrent that we are subjected to anytime we're unwise enough to stray too close to the internet. So I suppose it makes sense that I step back a bit, look inward a bit, and reflect. Become less broadcast. 

Ah, a middle aged man is taking stock. That's novel (in fact that's far too many novels, all written by middle aged men, but a post about my theory that many books are intrinsically the same book will have to wait for another time). Yes, well, I have rarely claimed originality throughout my writing life, no point starting now.

To this end, I'm going to write a short post about the ten minutes of my morning where I did nothing. And how it will almost certainly wind up being the highlight of my day.

I had a sit down.

Oh, you need more? This isn't enough for you? Okay, I shall expand.

I had a nice sit down.

No? Okay. I had a nice sit down on the sofa in my conservatory, and watched various birds flutter and squabble over the feeders; House Sparrows, a Blackbird, some Starlings, a couple of Goldfinches and a single, skulking Dunnock, to be precise. It is noteworthy because, for ten blissful minutes, I did nothing. Nada. Fuck all. Sweet Fanny Adams. You get the gist.

This is not something that happens terribly often. And was certainly not about to happen again on this day, where I was pulling a straight through in work, being a chef down. With a business to run and three kids, time to do nothing is perforce somewhat limited.

Even when I do have free time, there are things to do. Enough housework to salve the conscience been done? Laundry getting out if control? Been for a run yet? Been to the gym yet? Even my walks to work and back are freighted with the knowledge that I could be getting that passive aggressive green owl Duo off my back for a day. Yes, you little sod, there is time for a French lesson.

And don't get me started on my lapsed writer's guilt.

Doing nothing every once in a while is, I would argue, essential to one's well being. The mind rests and drifts, when I stand up again, the day has swum into focus. But even this makes it sound like a task to be accomplished. The sort of thing that awful people on awful podcasts about being a success schedule into their day after yoga and just before their juice cleanse.

Hey, maybe I could monetise this then? Buy a shedload of sofas and tell a bunch of high-performance types to have a nice sit down at 250 quid a pop. There might be something in this.

But I don't mean it in some dull self-improvement sense, I regard it more as maintenance. A little bit of nothing helps the whole lot of everything tick over. And I was right. The rest of the day was a whole lot of everything. But that bit of nothing made dealing with it so much easier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage