Skip to main content

To all intents and purposes, a bloody great weed.

I absolutely love trees, and I get quite irate when they get cut down.

One of the aspects of life with which I most often find myself most at odds with my fellow man is that I'm not really a fan of the tidy garden. I like to see a bit of biodiversity knocking about the gaff, and to that end I welcome the somewhat overgrown hedge, am pro the bit of lawn left to run riot, and, most of all, very anti cutting down trees.

I love the things, habitat, provider of shade, easy on the eye, home to the songbirds that delight the ear at dawn, the best alarm clock of all. To me, cutting a naturally growing tree down is an act of errant vandalism, as well as monumental entitlement, it's been around longer than you.

So, this being the case, let me say this. The public outcry over the felling of the tree at Sycamore Gap is sentimental, overblown nonsense, and the fact that the two men found guilty of it have been given a custodial sentence is completely insane. Prison? For cutting down a Sycamore? Not one of the last stately elms, not a thousand year old oak but a sycamore? A tree that is, to all intents and purposes, a bloody great weed?

I get that it was "iconic", a somewhat overused word, but the full weight of the law being brought to bear against Daniel Graham and Adam Carruthers does seem to be somewhat heavy-handed.

Acer Pseudoplatanus is not actually a native tree to these Isles, though, having been here since the 1500s it's pretty well naturalised. Its native range is from Asia to central Europe. It's also a fast-growing, extremely hardy generalist, in Portugal and New Zealand it's classed as an invasive pest. This particular example wasn't especially old, having been planted in the 19th century, nor was it particularly unique, having originally stood with several others all of which have been, for one reason or another, cut down, presumably without the need for custodial sentences.

So why did this particular tree get the public right in the feels? Why did people who would have no qualms about ripping up a hawthorn and a dog rose to make way for a tarmacked driveway get their knickers in a twist about a tree cuttings of which are already thriving?

Some of it, I suppose, is because it was on its own, the splendid isolation and dramatic location lending it an air of grandeur. To my mind, though, a solitary tree is a sad thing, and indication of an overgrazed, over-managed landscape, a solitary tree tells a story of you trees being razed to the ground by sheep, in no way is a solitary tree a "natural" feature, particularly not a sycamore which, as anyone who's got a couple nearby will know, is a startlingly prolific and vigorous beast.

Some of it will be celebrity, the tree was famous due in part to its appearance in the risible Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves where Kevin Costner, having strolled from Hastings to Hadrian's Wall in a day, completely bypassing Nottingham and Sherwood Forest in the process, rescues a boy stuck in its branches. It was on tea towels and key rings, local people felt its loss keenly.

And I don't mean to disparage their feelings at all, I am certainly not celebrating its felling, but where was all this concern for trees when ancient deciduous woodland was being ripped up by the acre for HS2? There are five million front gardens in the UK with no plants in them at all, 4.5 million completely paved over, where's the outrage about that? A few years ago the council felled five healthy poplars that marked the border between a playing field and farmland, no one said a peep, it certainly didn't become a front page story on the BBC website.

Certainly, the defendants made for unsympathetic villains, their testimony a whining mishmash of name-calling and blame-laying, the crime without reason or justification. But still the punishment seems unlikely to fit it. Sentencing takes place on the 15th of July and the presiding judge, Mrs Justice Lambert, has told the pair to expect "lengthy" custodial sentences. The maximum penalty for crominal damage is 10 years. What good would this serve? To what end? Why should this pair be housed and fed by the state, when they could be paying their debt to society by, oh, I don't know, doing community service planting trees?

The reason, I suspect, absurd though it is, is simply the high public profile of the case. Because it's been made such a big deal, the full force of the law has to be seen to be applied, even if it's entirely disproportionate.

And the reason I think it's got such a high profile is that it's a release valve for the guilt we all, to a greater or lesser extent, consciously or subconsciously carry for the damage we've wrought to the environment. You have to be in deep denial not to acknowledge that anthropogenic climate change is a real thing, even the most myopic, three-holidays-a-year drive-100-yards-to-the-shops denier knows, deep in their soul, that we've fucked it, lads.

And so all this loathing and shame manifests itself as opprobrium for Daniel Graham and Adam Carruthers, pours over their heads, two rough-arsed, ill-spoken proxies for all the crimes we commit in the name of our lifestyles, every day, currently being held in protective custody. It was just a sycamore, but it stands for a whole lot more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...