Skip to main content

The five best things I ate in Newcastle

 I have had a brief holiday. 

This isn't an entirely remarkable turn of events, it happens from time to time. Not as often as the happy, gilded folk who occupy my Insta feed, it would appear, or the University acquaintances whose lives would seem to be one long roundelay of chic European mini-breaks but, nevertheless, holidays occur though, perhaps not quite with the frequency with which, in an ideal world, I would wish

In this instance, in an even rarer turn of events  we were sans offspring. Oh yes. Sorry lads.

Thus is because Mrs Coastalblog and I went away to celebrate our twentieth wedding anniversary (Miracles, etc, less for murder, etc, if you could just dump all the jokes within these parentheses and then we could all get on with our lives) and because we're the sort of perverts that like going to places by train, and going to places we're not overly familiar with, we wound up in Newcastle. A fine, handsome city with much to recommend it, but what I wish to consider hereb, reasonably enough, given my job, is the food.

I would like to say straight up that I wasn't in toon long enough to scratch the surface, and what I gleaned from the local food blogs was that a lot of the good stuff was hither and yon, to an extent where I'd have needed a better knowledge of local geography to track it down in the time available (but, believe you me, I shall, in the fullness of time).

So, I shall concern myself solely with what I managed to get down my gob in the time available, and the reason I'm restricting myself to the five BEST things is I'm not an arsehole, everyone does their best I think and some stuff was best glossed over, so, shall we?

5) Starter platter, Blackfriars

Glorious, ancient building, immaculate service, and a generous, delicious starter platter of cured salmon, fishcake, herring, prawns and a bunch of other good, fishy stuff. Bread game is strong, butter was a cut above. This was the sort of comfortable, classy eating that English cuisine likes to tell itself that it is these days, but so often fails

4) Various bits from Kalimera Greek Bakery

Bought one morning to stave off the hunger pangs before lunch. Would have liked to plough my way through the lot, particular highlight was a small spinach pie of impeccable pastry and well seasoned filling. Good coffee too. we went back on the last morning to buy sandwiches for the train rather than submit ourselves to the horrors of the Sainos meal deal, and these were also incredible.

3) Rojak, Chilli Padi

I'll be honest, I ordered this because I didn't have a fucking clue what it was. A traditional Malayasian starter according to our waiter, but he may have been taking the piss. I'm still not sure now, tbh. Apple, pineapple, chopped up doughnut bits, shrimp sauce, shouldn't work. Does. It was weirdly compelling, and this is not just because I'd just had a sizeable glass of Sauvignon Blanc (as a side note, I, personally, am very much over Sauvignon Blanc, in much the same way as everyone decided in 2004 that they'd had enough of Chardonnay).

Everything else we had here was exemplary, (Mrs Coastalblog's chicken wings were spicy enough to cause flushes even such a hardened pair of chilli consumers as ourselves) this is just what's sticking in the memory, possibly because it was so mad.

2) The chillu and garlic pickle that comes with the Poppadums at Dakwalla

Fucking hell. I can still taste it now. Sensational. I asked for the recipe. They refused to give it to me

1) Cheese and Mushrom Kofte, spinach sauce, Dakwalla. The sort of dish that makes me want to be a better person. Minced mushroom and cheese deep fried, but that indulgence set in a vibrant sauce clearly cooked down from such a vast quantity of greenery that I could feel years being added to my life-span, but deliciously. I am not a taker of food photos. I took a photo of this. I am not clever enough to cook this. I hope, one day, to be so

I could probably have waxed lyrical about Dakwalla for the full blog, it really was a very good meal, but they've had a glowing review elsewhere, and they'll just have to settle for the top two slots. I want to go back and eat everything else, but I could certainly say the same about Chilli Padi. Mrs Fallaize's Chicken Karaage at Moku was also excellent, but seeing as how I just nicked a bit I don't suppose it counts.

So, some good meals, and a few good drinks as well, there were some lovely bars. Obviously I couldn't do the place justice on just one shirt trip, have ro go again, won't I?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is happening?

An unpleasant, but in the grand scheme of things quite minor, incident occurred at a local school yesterday. Two lads entered the premises looking for another kid they wanted to assault. The school followed protocols and was locked down until the situation was resolved. Grim enough in and of itself, but not exactly a massive piece of news. Except, of course, on local Facebook pages, where a cast of many hang around visibly thirsting for events like this. This isn't a post about them, however. There is something desperately sad about a million posts on the same subject, everyone breathlessly recycling the same story without checking whether it might have already been covered. It speaks to an unfulfilled existence. Nor is this a post about Facebook and it's local pages, though they are a weird and interesting ecosystem. Were it not for running the pub, my Meta presence would be minimal, I need to be on there for work, and stuff like this is a necessary accoutrement. No, what depr...

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Worthless Art

Ah, we're back to calling humanities degrees rip-offs, are we? What a semi regular treat that is. There is a persistent strain of thought in British public life which runs thus: things are shit, blame clever people. When a politician needs a convenient punchbag, higher education is always a quick and easy mark. Everyone hates students, right? And those lecturers, bit up themselves, aren't they? And so Kemi Badenoch, bereft of ideas, takes up the cudgels once more, because why not? It's not like she's got anything else sensible to say. Might as well try and score a few populist points. Cuh, English degrees eh? What use are they?  Yes, this week, the erstwhile leader of His Majesty's Opposition decided to wander down a tired and well-trodden path and try to score a few points off the back of the much maligned Arts and Humanities. She's not the first, I highly doubt she'll be the last. She set out plans to a somewhat sparsely attended Conservative Party Confere...