Skip to main content

Matt's travel reviews NE special edition

Now, I've never been much of a one for Faliraki. Thoughts of Benidorm soothe not my quaking breast. The idea of the beaches of Goa fills me with a sensation of mild distaste.

This is not because I have anything against holidays abroad per se. I've had some jolly nice times abroad. Travel broadening the mind and what have you. But abroad is not generally my first choice for a holiday, for much the same reasons as I feel guilty buying new books when so many remain unread.

There are so many parts of this country I haven't seen yet, so many local specialities I haven't eaten yet, so many local beers I haven't drunk to the point of laterality yet. Britain's pretty fucking gorgeous y'know, and the last four days in Northumbria have done nothing to dissuade me from this view.

Let it not be said that I won't let you learn from my mistakes, the town we stayed in (a beknighted place by the name of Amble "Britain's friendliest port" according to its sign. Not if you walk into one of the pubs it's not) was a prime example of missing the point entirely. A beautiful, empty stretch of coast garlanded with ugly, pebble-dashed semis, it was kind of sad really; but not disheartening, 'cos it was the only bit of ugly we saw the whole time.

I won't try your patience by banging on about the loveliness of Alnwick, Warkworth, Rothbury and Alnmouth. I dislike gushing travelogues as much as the next man. I'd just ask you to remember the next time you book a holiday that this country really does have a lot going for it at times.

Two things that I can't allow to pass without comment, however: the fish and chips was stupendous, a reminder that it doesn't always make you feel bloated and, cooked properly, deserves its place in the pantheon of great national dishes, light crisp batter, fresh haddock cooked to order. Awesome.

Secondly, should you ever find yourself on the M6 and in dire need of the toilet, hang on until you get to Tebay services, just outseide Penrith. The only privately owned services in the country it is everything that those sorry-arsed, strip-lighted, KFC-scarred car parks of spiritual desolation masquerading under complete misnomers of monickers ("Welcome Break" my foot, I've had more welcome genital infections) are not. Sure there was food. It was fresh. Fresh. There was no "roast" half chicken bursting its pink skin as it baked in a puddle of grease under the heat lamps. There was no silo of congealed beans. There were no pre-packed plastic domes of limp salads (what the fuck IS "cajun-style" anyway? And who decided that that was all anyone who likes chicken will ever want to eat?). The food, let me repeat, was fresh. And it was good, I mean really good. And cheaper than the venomous excuses for sandwiches your average Moto peddles for you to chew as you sit staring miserably out of the window as the rain lashes down on the sign of the Nuneaton Travelodge, and families bicker and wail as lumpen fathers throw change for their kids to feed into the arcade machines as they sit and dream of buying a copy of Nuts and Chris de Burgh plays mockingly, the thunder of lorries causing ripples in his eight pound bucket of Sprite, forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage