Skip to main content

It's Budget Day!

Happy Budget Day everyone!

So after I'd dressed the kids in their Budget Day costumes and made sure I'd done the shopping for the traditional Budget Day dinner I settled down to listen to some Budget tunes and eagerly awaited The Details.

Now, I've not had a chance to go over The Details with a fine tooth comb but on first glance it appears that a bunch of stuff is going to happen in a couple of years time. Nothing like planning ahead, and this is nothing like planning ahead. It does appear, however, that all of the sweeteners are timed to drop oooh, just in time for the next election, top work Gideon.

The raising of the baseline for income tax to ten grand is to be applauded, whether it stacks up fiscally versus the money already taken off the poorest in terms of benefit cuts is, as yet unclear. House building could indeed do with a boost, and the government backed mortgages may provide this. What happens if the housing market continues to slump (a trend which could be exacerbated by a lot of new homes suddenly coming onto the market) is, uh, unclear.

In all honesty I didn't stop by here to go over the budget. I'm sure you've seen plenty of it already, commented on by people far better informed and possessed of greater analytical minds than mine. And I didn't stop by here to have yet another pop at the Tories either. Plenty of people doing that. Nope, I stopped by here to make a public plea. To Ed Miliband.

Ed, please, all that "Downgraded Chancellor" stuff. It's idiotic. Please. All the pre-scripted stuff. Knock it off. You know, I'm kind of rooting for you. I'm pretty sure your heart's in the right place. I prefer your lot to the other lot. I also suspect you've got a better idea of what you're doing than you're generally given credit for. I'm even going to stick my neck out and say you've probably got some decent policies tucked away somewhere. But we don't get to see them. We get soundbites. And with each soundbite you sound like a bit more of a dick. We expect shit jokes from Cambo. No-one's ever told him his jokes are shit. Ahahahaha Cams, they say, top work (snort). So on he goes. Your jokes, also, are shit. Your little soundbites, I'm sorry to say, are shit. People don't necessarily think you're going to be a better Prime Minister than the other guy because you're better at shouting than him. They tend to base their opinion more on whether you seem a more competent bloke to run the country than the other one. Which is what we need to see. So please, Ed, knock it off. Please. Really. I really mean it. All the photocopy passing hoho, all Ed Balls' posturing,all of it. Knock. It. The. Fuck. Off. Because every time it happens you look less like a political party and more like a bunch of whiny kids. And I really would like to have someone to vote for next time out. Cheers.

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage