Skip to main content

When the trivial becomes overwhelming. And the overwhelming becomes trivial


The problem, for me, with news on the internet is one of mirroring, of repetition. It manifests in a couple of ways. Firstly, there is the serious story which, as a result of its analysis from every conceivable angle from every site one can accidentally click on a link to quickly loses all meaning. The brain stats to fixate onthe reporting of the event, rather than the event in and of itself.

For example, the media clusterfuck des nos jours is, natch, the whole Ted Heath imbroglio. Now here’s a perfect media shitstorm, right here, because hey, it’s a bit similar to a whole bunch of other cases of recent memory so yes, we have a toolkit to respond to this, and, woohoo, bonus points, there’s shagging. We can all get behind that (that’s what HE said, fnarr, fnarr), plus it’s all a bit vague so there’s some glorious grey areas in which theories can put down some roots and turn their pretty faces to the nourishing who cares about facts sun. Glorious. The column inches will pour forth. But the very level and attention of detail stands to desensitise the whole thing. As we nod sagely over news reports, and listen with furrowed brows to his biographer say well no, he couldn’t, because there were always policemen with him you see (which, I, for one, find very reassuring), or a neighbour say he was a nice bloke, or a clearly frustrated political reporter allude to other stuff that he’s heard that he can’t possibly say the overwhelming becomes trivial. It is simultaneously a non-story and a fucking massive one. Because should one stand back for a moment and say what? You’re shitting me. The Prime Minister. The fucking PRIME MINISTER? Then a whole bunch of other question start to assert themselves, and all the talk of shadowy paedophile cabals at the top of society starts to, well, not make sense as such because, and this should be stressed, these are unsubstantiated allegations. But, simultaneously, the mind does the vanishing trick of bunging it in the “hmm” file. Because this is the rolling, 24-hour media age, and we’ve heard it all before, not this name, but a name like it, not this story, but a story like it. And so, the overwhelming becomes trivial,

Now, part two, the trivial becoming overwhelming. Ahahah, it was announced that Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy are breaking up. Ahahaha, aw, upsetting, part of our collective childhoods and whatnot. Or, more pertinently, part of the collective childhood of people who churn out content for news blogs, and have been asked to provide a little light relief, what with all this kiddy-fiddling bumming everybody out. Ahahaha. I said bumming. Give me a fucking column on the Huffington Post. I saw a headline, I smiled briefly, there was that cute line from Miss Piggy about dating moi being like flying too close to the sun. It was amusing. The muppets were always funny, Miss Piggy was always funny (Kermit not so much). But then the newsfeeds mount up. Lead in line after lead in line. Love is dead, What hope is there for us. Love is dead. The break-up. OMG say it’s not so. What hope is there? There’s no such thing as love. Taken individually the rational response is ha, yes, a cute story, a little light relief amidst the bombing, religious wars and doing kids up the arse, We all need a little light relief (NOT LIKE THAT TED – allegedly). But, when collated, as newsfeeds tend to be, it becomes overwhelming, as a reader you suddenly feel that all humanity is fixated purely on the break-up of two puppets, and despite you knowing that this is not the case, those jokey headlines, when viewed in their numbing repetition, suddenly signify a great gaping horror at the heart of humanity, the reader feels that, as a species, we have become incapable of engaging with anything other than the trivial. And the feeling is overwhelming.

The point is that each of these stories has a position in our discourse, but the way we engage with them has the effect of negating the potency of each. News becomes not news. Not news becomes news. I am unsure as to the way out of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage