Skip to main content

Not much of a public griever.

As you may have noticed, this Monday just gone saw the death of David Bowie. I believe it was mentioned in the news. Now, I'm not about to write a "What Bowie meant to me" piece. There have been rather a few too many of those clogging up the place of late, but his death did get me thinking.

I was genuinely surprised (though I shouldn't have been, the man had form for keeping things under wraps), and briefly,well, not upset. That's too strong a word. Regretful, maybe. What a shame, I thought, the last couple of records were corkers, he probably had a lot left to give That sort of thing. And, being not entirely unacquainted with death myself I had a brief jolt of sympathy for his family, friends and loved ones. The sort you do when you hear anyone's died. Ah, that's a shame. I was less surprised by the wave of very public grieving that followed, and I'm afraid it mystifies me.

I kind of expected it from 6 Music, and it was handy timing that Lauren Laverne was on after the news broke, she has a skill for handling that sort of thing, empathic without over-emoting. I was unsurprised that the schedules were cleared and it was wall to wall Bowie, the man was an icon, it's what you'd expect. But still, I was already starting to feel a little queasy as listener after listener emailed in to express their shock and sorrow.

I don't doubt they felt it, and I'm sure that it was genuine but it all felt a little...forced. As though everyone were participating in a mass grieve-off. As if it were something...expected. And I felt nothing. I loved a lot of his records, I recognise his importance and greatness as an artist but...grief? Really? I grieved when my briother died. I grieved when my Nan died, I grieved when a friend at school died. These were people I knew, and loved. When Kurt cobain died I tried to act all hurt because it's what was expected, but I was teenager then, and an idiot. At the age of 38 I'm not grieving for someone I don't know. Even people I'm a massive fan of. I didn't grieve when Bill Griffiths and Lee Harwood died. Poets I admire immensely, idols even. I felt regret at their passing, yes, I acknowledged it. And I felt sympathy for the poets of my acquaintance who knew them and counted them as friends. But I didn't know them, I'd met them, but I wouldn't presume to know them.

Maybe I'm being too english about this, but I don't think so. This isn't about repression of emotion. My grief at the death of my brother was public, long and loud. It's more that I'm uneasy at how the death of a public figure is instantly appropriated. Everyone makes his death their own story "this is how I, me, feel about it". There's a rush to hagiography, nuance is drowned out. Amidst all the adulation there's nary a peep about the statutory rape, the playing with Nazi imagery. It's a mad dash to crown oneself as king/queen of the grievers, and this is what doesn't sit well with me. It's not you that died, it's him. This isn't about you.

Still, that new album really is fucking great. Shame there won't be another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage