Skip to main content

Getting back into it

I think I may have blogged about this before, but I can't find it anywhere.

I strongly suspect that when I come to look back upon my life, I'll regard my twenties and thirties as wilderness years, of a sort. Not because I wasn't doing anything, far from it, I've been doing a bunch of stuff. Got married, bought a house, had kids, important stuff. But because I've spent that time working in catering, as floor staff for a bit and then a long stint in kitchens. I love what I do, and I'm pretty good at it, but the problem with feeding people for a living is that it's an absolute hoover of time. Sixty, seventy hour weeks are a normal state of affairs. It pretty much takes over your life. And by the time you get home there's no appetite to do anything other than collapse. Normal life largely goes by the wayside, what few speare hours are left are reserved for family (and there's never enough to do them justice).

I should point out here that this is not a whinge, I was well aware of what I went into at the time, and even more aware when we opened the business (eight years ago! Christ!). It's not work you can do unless you're into it, and it has always been, and remains, very much my cup of tea.

That said, after the initial terror of opening a business wore off a few years ago I started noticing that a few things were missing from my life. I realised I wasn't running as much, that I hadn't played the guitar inm years, that I wasn't writing anywhere near as much as I used to. All these things have, slowly but surely been restored to my existence as I finally, dimly begin to understand the term "work/life balance".

One of the unexpected side effects of this has been a re-awakening of music fandom, something I'd assumed was pretty much gone forever. I thought it was the general rule of things to be an obsessive in your teens and early twenties and then, y'know, just sort of lose interest, as actual stuff took over the space where music used to be. I've always maintained an interest, of course, keeping an eye on things, but not that intense feeling of it mattering so much. But a few times over the last year I've found myself stopped in my tracks by the old feeling of I have to have this song. And because I'm old enough to still think in terms of having a song, and actually paying actual money for it (so passe, I know), I have.

So this has come as a pleasant development to me, to realise that I can still get excited about things, that scrartch away the weariness and there's still someone who wants to grab people by the shoulders and go LISTEN to THIS! Isn't it AMAZING! And whilst I am deeply aware that this approach did me no favours in the getting a girlfriend stakes all those years ago, I am now married, so no worries there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...