Skip to main content

There probably will be snow in Africa this Christmas, tbh

Ho ho and, furthermore, ho. Ah yes, the festive season is upon us, a time which even those tangentially acquainted with Coastalblog will be dimly aware that your humble correspondent disappears beneath a blizzard of work ("Disappears?" you cry, "you were barely here in the first place", which is a reasonable point, and, this being the internet, I assume that you are all just and equitable people, as I'm sure everyone on the internet is, so I shall let you have that one, though a look back informs me that this has been my most prolific blogging year since, oooh, prior to fatherhood, so cut me some slack m'kay?), what with the knives to sharpen and the meals to send out and what have you. All very lively.

But this isn't the standard mea culpa / whinge / flimsy rationalisation for my shoddy and inept attempts to keep CB wheezing along in this, its 16th (!) year. Yep, I just checked, first post September 2003. So next year it can legally have sex. Nah, I realised years ago that this is, essentially, shouting into the void, but the way I figure it it's a more constructive way of doing so than just getting angry on Twitter. So here I sit, close to the start of December, a couple of livelier than average Christmas services under the belt and contemplate the rest of the festive season with something approaching equanimity.

The ten years I was at Source Christmas was always hell on stilts, in the nicest possible way. Being something of a one man band when in the kitchen, and under pressure to make as much money as possible in a short space of time, it was, of necessity, extremely hectic, lots of fun, but hectic, and the sort of hours that even the most understanding spouse would be inclined to raise an eyebrow at. Prior to that, exceedingly long-term readers may recall I was in Le Frog which was so ludicrously busy that it didn't matter how many staff there were, you were going to get mullered. Christmas to me meant simply hordes of drunks and boshing out some fairly mediocre food, the only pride to be taken in it was a grimly professional one at having "done the numbers", having "got through".

But that was the noughties, when people still ate out. In these more impecunious times, the hordes are still horde-ey, but not quite as much, plus, as I observed this weekend, the only people still going out for dinner are the same ones who were doing it fifteen years ago. They're the only ones with money, and they've slowed down a bit in the meantime. So I'm in the sweet spot of having staff, but not quite having to deal with the baying tides of times past (the fact that we charge a reasonable amount for our food may have something to do with that, too).

So yes, for once I can face Christmas without a sense of impending doom and the certain knowledge that I'm not going to see my family for a month. It might even, who knows, be fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage