Skip to main content

On Failure

I knew I'd have to get round to it eventually, and a rainy Tuesday morning with the conservatory roof making even a light shower sound like the end of days seems to be as good a time as any. I'd like to talk about failure.

Regular readers will recall that at the start of last year I set myself a variety of challenges to accomplish in 2018: reading fifty books, running 1500 miles and spotting at least 200 separate bird species. You will be unsurprised to hear that I failed signally in each and every one of them.

For the record, I managed just over 1000 miles, read 32 books and saw about 102 species. So, by any stretch of the imagination, I fell a long way short. I failed. But then, I always rather suspected I would. the purpose of these arbitrary targets, as I wrote at the time, was more to stimulate myself into getting stuff done; getting out there and interacting with the world with the running and the birds, enriching my inner life and getting back into reading as opposed to aimlessly scrolling through social media. In this, they worked pretty well (even if I look back upon the plan to blog each book and note with now small degree of embarrassment that THAT masterstroke petered out at book number 14). I still scroll aimlessly through social media, but appear to have got a touch of my literary mojo back, even if I'm aware that this is now strictly for my own amusement rather than any wider ambition.

The whole thing was about discovering, or re-discovering, a sense of self, having been subsumed in the total immersion of running a business and starting a family for a decade. Now, this may sound incredibly selfish, but in my defence I'd like to point out that I took pains to make sure that none of my personal quests impinged on family time - I wasn't off running when there were dishes to do. Indeed, the bird list became a family thing.

It was round about October when I realised that I was too far behind to catch up on any of them. In my line of work you can pretty much forget about trying to do anything in December. I felt, as I have so often in my life, the dread intimation of failure looming, like an iceberg, ahead. Why had I done this to myself? Why had I chosen to do so publicly? Well, any number of reasons, not least of which was to give me something to write about. But the truth is I don't actually have much of a problem with failure, it's something I've got pretty good at down the years.

As a monstrously arrogant young man (in my defence I'd had a good few years of everyone telling me how brilliant I was, it's enough to turn anyone's head) it came as something of a shock to discover that I was pretty run of the mill as thinkers go. Reasonably bright, nothing special. Luckily, I quickly became preoccupied with more urgent matters, viz. repaying student loans and having enough money left to get utterly out of my tree. That was the twenties taken care of and I was, by the standards of the promise of my youth, very definitely a failure. Then came the age of responsibility: marriage, kids and starting a business. That was the thirties taken care of, and by the end of that, given that said business wasn't worth carrying on with, you'd have to go, yup, failure, though please note that I am speaking strictly in professional terms, I've got three great kids and a still intact marriage, which, given how my thirties panned out as a whole, constitutes something of a win. Never did get round to writing that novel, though.

And now here I am at the start of my forties. An even more navel-gazing period of a life which was already pretty solipsistic to start off with, and in something of what I believe is referred to euphemistically in football circles as a rebuilding period. By the standards of what we are sold as the ideal life, I'm very much a failure. No big house, no expensive holidays, no car. I'm not particularly well off and I certainly haven't accomplished any of the big things that were predicted for me all those years ago. But what I have learned is that all of that is, largely, unimportant (I'm going to avoid making the obvious points about family and friends here, you've probably sussed that one long ago). I've discovered that what's important to me, more than anything else, is trying, it's knowing that I'm giving myself a chance rather than doing nothing at all. It's why I keep pottering along with this widely ignored blog, why I keep getting up early to slog through a run before the family wake up, why I get the odd little book out every few years (there's another one coming in May, btw). It's all doomed to failure, of course, but's not really the point, is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage