Skip to main content

Paradise Postponed (not the TV series)

I don't know quite what I expected from this situation, I went into it unsure of how long it would last (in my case, a bloody long time by the sounds of it), how it would affect the people I love, what I'd miss. A few of the absences are fairly obvious, work, trips out, meals out at our local Turkish barbecue place (meals out in general, but particularly those), but one of the things I realise I miss most is book-shops.

To paraphrase Borges, I've always thought that Heaven would be a second-hand book-shop.

You know the sort, the ones over several floors, full of sudden rooms and surprising geometries, the ones where the stairways switch-back on themselves and there's generally a two-bar heater going regardless of the time of year. The sort of book-shop where, you feel, pretty much anything might be unearthed. The kind of bookshop where the owner doesn't raise an eyebrow when you're in there for half a day, the kind where when you emerge, blinking at the gloom into sudden dusk you suddenly discover that you've got a dog-eared Raymond Chandler, a collection of East European poetry and a copy of the moral discourses of Epictetus bearing a library stamp from a long defunct minor public school. None of these, it goes without saying, were what you went in for.

It seems slightly incongruous writing of such a place as the sun blazes down, the bass from someone's stereo a few doors down thuds and the smell of marijuana wafts gently over from next door. I should be thinking wistfully of pub gardens, barbecues with friends or trips down to Cornwall for dips in the sea, and these are all, undoubtedly, fine things. But they are not, currently, what I am missing most keenly. What I'm missing is a bloody good browse.

(It's not all that incongruous, either. I've always rather enjoyed crepuscular spaces on bright summer days, there's something pleasantly transgressive about flicking through a box of records or rootling around a stack of books when the world expects you to be out and about cheerfully developing skin cancer - this is not to say I don't enjoy being out in the sunshine, but it's a pleasing two fingers to every time someone suggested as a child that I get my nose out of a book and go and get some fresh air)

Now, I'm fond of a bookshop in general, and I have no wish to offend my local Waterstone's, in the absence of a handy indie, they will often suffice(For the record, when the chance arises, I much prefer to go to the estimable Broadhurst's in Southport); but they lack serendipity. You rarely get the opportunity of the chance discovery, the book that you half-remember a review of that you thought at the time "Oh, I must read that" that one that that author you whose other stuff you liked wrote that you'd not heard of ("they're still going? Thought they died years ago"), they lack the less popular genres, the old pulp books, the forgotten, the obscure (and their poetry sections are normally woeful). So whilst I miss shops inn general, and book-shops in particular, but it's the second-hand bookshops that I miss the most.

I miss the small rooms, the winding corridors, the meticulous cataloguing, the occasionally bizarre titles, the inexplicable collection of old maps, the mystifying stand full of old umbrellas. I miss wondering why two editions of the same book have a price difference of two hundred pounds, I miss the hunt, generally futile in terms of what you wanted but always ending up somewhere worthwhile; in a house full of wonderful but boisterous children, I certainly miss the silence.

So anyway, that's what I miss, one of the things, anyway. I'm sure you have yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...