Skip to main content

The end is nigh

 Without wishing to make myself a hostage to fortune (and, as I write, cases are rising in part of the North West) but it's possible to detect a little optimism in the air. 

How much of this is natural sap rising as it always does at this time of year, how much is wishful thinking after the most exhausting year of most of our lives and how much is hard headed, genuine, vaccine-watching practicality it's impossible to say. But I've been wandering around whistling under my brerath a bit this week.

Part of it, of course, is the end being in sight of home learning (not home-schooling, that is when you take charge of your child's education entirely. We are merely conduits for the schools). Just one more week to go (three days for me, as Mrs Coastalblog does Monday and Tuesday while I'm off doing things to the pub, and I do Wednesday to Friday while she's off fighting fires at school).

There is a lot of garbage discourse surrounding home learning. A lot of shaming, a lot of performative parenting. We established pretty early on that, as there was no way it could possibly compare to classroom learning we weren't going to get too hung up on it. Do it, of course, particularly as the idiot Williamson has decreed that teachers are somehow supposed to assess pupils on the basis of what's sent in (the latest in a long, long line of blunders and wrong calls any one of which would, prior to this post-shame age, surely have lead to a well-deserved resignation), but not beat ourselves up about it. Just as well, really, for as lockdown 3 grinds on I think the cumulative toll of the last year is starting to show on a lot of people, children included.

Middle child spent yesterday on the sofa, curled up, asleep. He's not been sleeping well, I left him be. Sod the work. Sleeping your way through the rest of the pandemic strikes me as an eminently sensible way to wait it out. Because I think we've hit the stage where it's more important than ever before to take care of ourselves and check in on how we're feeling. With a possible end in sight, the brakes will start to come off, and all the stuff you've been holding onto for a year could unravel on you at once.

Chefs know all about this. We all get ill in January. Every year, without fail. You can't be ill in December, there's too much riding on a successful Christmas. So you don't get ill, you don't even feel ill. You get your head down and you work your way through the month and then in January, when it goes quiet, it hits you like a tonne of bricks. I normally take the first week in January off, knowing full well that I'll be no use for anything.

And so it is with this latest possible end. We've been let down before, we're not letting ourselves believe it yet. But as more things open up then people start to believe, and when you relax, that's when you realise that you've been hanging on by the skin of your teeth for the last six months.

It's the hope that gets you. Having actually listened to what scientists said, I didn't believe the government when they said there wouldn't be a second lockdown. I didn't believe them when they said Christmas would be fine. I laughed my head off when schools opened for a day and then closed (were I a teacher, I'd be fuming that anyone who had half an eye on Robert Peston's twitter feed knew that this was happening before I did. I remember picking the kids up from school: "see you tomorrow!" said the teacher "I highly doubt it", I replied), you could see all this coming a mile off (which makes it slightly more mystifying that the Government couldn't).

This time though...the weather's turned, the vaccine rollout has, credit where it's due, been a raging success (amazing what happens when you don't outsource these things to Serco) and maybe, just maybe, something approximating normality will return.

I'm not as optimistic as the Government are, even if this new, supposedly more serious Johnson is going slower than his more rabid backbenchers would like, cases are still, despite lockdown, high, and in some places rising. Add to this the tendency of a certain section of the population to interpret the slightest bit of good news as "everything is now completely fine once and for all" and it's not hard to envisage this new phase dragging on longer than expected.

But even so, even with my inbuilt mistrust and pessimism, it is difficult not to perceive green shoots. I'm writing menus and talking to suppliers again. We're running around making sure all the school uniform fits. Life is going on.

So it's all the more important that, with something resembling an end being nigh, you make sure you're alright. It's okay to have a bit of a breakdown. To not feel up to it, to spend a day sleeping on the sofa. To have a good cry. It's not long now. You did good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage