Skip to main content

Emphatically not about the queue

This post will be about several things, but it won't be about The Queue. I don't need to explain  that any further, you know it the one I mean, the one that has dominated the national conversation to a perplexing degree over the last few days.

I knew when HRH popped her little bejewelled clogs that I was going to be out of step with the majority if my fellow countrymen. Not so much due to my lack of support for the monarchy, though that's definitely a factor, but more due to my distaste for greetings card sentiment. And, dear me, but we've had that in spades.

Grieving, I understand. Grief and I, as longer term readers may recall, are well acquainted. And I'm not so arrogant as to tell others how to grieve; but it does seem, from the perspective of one utterly unmoved by the death of someone I didn't know, that we as a country are...enjoying this a little too much? Wallowing a little?

I do understand it, to a degree. Brenda represents one of the last links to when we were a country of note, for the vast majority of us she's the only monarch we've ever known, and even if you, like me, think the whole idea of monarchy is insulting, bootlicking nonsense, her death is still a major change to the status quo. So it's not a surprise that the country's gone a little bit nuts. But it has taken  some unusual forms.

The Paddington thing, for example. We possibly should have seen this one coming, Liz's two-hander with the Peruvian shortarse was a canny bit of PR, allowing just enough whimsy into the brand to revive it after the ignominy of the Andrew debacle (and while we're on the subject of him, his crawling out from whatever rock he's been under has been one of the less edifying aspects of this current episode of The Crown). But...Paddington as Charon, leading her into the Underworld? Is...is he dead too? Will there be kids dressed in blue duffel coats this Hallowe'en?

Still, as I have observed before, it could have been worse, it could have been Minions.

Likewise, there's been a lot of twee stuff about her reuniting with Philip, all of which rather ignores the shagging around Phil allegedly did when in corporeal form. Possibly she wouldn't be all that pleased to see him. But the collective we needs that sense of closure, the husband and wife together again. These are the stories we love to tell ourselves about ourselves, the romanticised, idealised version of a Forever England, where the Royal Family is kind and wise, and in no sense is Andy a nonce and Wills cheats on Kate because he can't persuade her to peg him.

The other grim aspect has been it being used for a bout of Meghan-bashing, about which the less said the better. Unhinged.

And while I'm studiously avoiding discussion of The Queue, I will note that it has taken a life beyond its original form, already becoming a myth, not about HRH, but about the British themselves. Richard Curtis is 100% writing a romcom about it already, Ian McEwen a state of the nation novel. A tale of a plucky Island nation which likes to make up heartwarming stories about itself because it's having a collective nervous breakdown in the face of a wildly uncertain future.

Okay, maybe I am talking about The Queue then. Damn, I'd rather hoped to have avoided it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage