Skip to main content

Okay

    What would you think if, when you asked someone how they were, they replied "OK"? Would you take that at face value, or regard it as being indicative of deeper problems? 

    I ask because this has been on my mind a little of late. Mrs Coastaltown asked me how I was one day. I was okay, I said so. Whats's up? She said. Nothing's up, I said, I'm okay, I'm fine. Reader, I was, I was fine. 

    What would you think if, when you asked someone how they were, they replied "fine"? Would you take that at face value, or regard it as being indicative of deeper problems?

    I'm being slightly facetious here, but I have been wondering a little recently about how we perceive language, and how we place too much weight on hyperbole. You can't simply be fine, you have to be amazing, so good, living your best life. Things aren't bad, they're a disaster. Eminently believable events become unbelievable. The comedian Gary Delaney has a good line about the word "legend", once meaning "goes on quests, fights dragons" now meaning "has come back from the offy with crisps." (I'm paraphrasing slightly, but you get the gist). 

    Back in another life, when Mrs Coastaltown was a teacher, I was often irritated by the way that Ofsted grade schools. It is not enough to be "Satisfactory", schools must strive for "Good" or "Outstanding". This is, to my mind, imprecise. Surely, if a school is satisfactory, then everyone should be satisfied. Likewise, if all schools are outstanding, then surely none of them are.

    It would be fairly reasonable to characterise this as the grumblings of a middle aged man, and a big fat mea culpa to that. But there are some more serious problems caused by this quantitative easing of language. Back to the world of education. You, well read, engaged human that you are, are probably well aware that the teaching profession, like many of the public services, is groaning under the strain of trying to do too much with too little. What you may not be aware of is that there is an institutional term for this. Academy trusts refer to it as "above and beyond." Now, to my mind, the term "above and beyond implies a baseline level of effort being exceeded, it means an extraordinary (in the strictest sense of the word) effort. However, when teachers are being instructed that their efforts must be "above and beyond" all the time, then this simply a weasel-wording for we expect you to do twice the work for the same money, constantly. "Above and beyond" is a real terms pay cut.

    I'm as prone to hyperbole as the next man, provided the next man isn't a cast member of Made in Chelsea (is that still a thing? I'm old, subs please check), so I'm not trying to pretend that I haven't called a day where I've been mildly inconvenienced the worst of my life, but I do sometimes wonder if this dizzying rush towards constant amazement isn't robbing the world of nuance. There will undoubtedly be far cleverer people than I wondering about this who are able to draw links between our accelerating culture and the changing nature of our language. For myself, I worry that words are slowly leaching their meaning. Sometimes okay means precisely that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage