Skip to main content

The Vibes are Immaculate

I have bow, I think, entered the arena of Not Understanding The Kids.

This is a profound relief. As a father of three, it is my role to be baffled by slang, wrong-footed by culture and perplexed by concerns. I am not supposed to understand what they're on about. It is my job to frown slightly from over the top of a newspaper and be amiably run rings round. But, until fairly recently, I was relatively on top of the whole thing, through no fault of my own.

I work in a job where the average worker is quite young, I'm certainly the only one over forty, and there's only one other 30+. This, whilst undoubtedly annoying, has the effect of meaning you do keep relatively up to date, simply by failing to tune out the chatter around you.

(You also get to laugh quietly to yourself as each new cohort imagines they're the first ones ever to try to phone in sick with a hangover, or the first ones to ever take drugs).

I was also, until quite recently, Very Online. I do not mean Facebook, of course, even I know that's a geriatric graveyard where boomers get angry about AI generated racist memes. But Twitter, for all its faults, was quite handy for keeping you, if not exactly plugged into the zeitgeist, then at the very least zeitgeist-adjacent.

Retreating from there to Bluesky has done wonderful things for my mental health and general anger levels, but it's definitely also had the effect of me losing whatever slender grasp it was I had on what the kids are on about.

I am, of course aware, that Twitter was hardly a young person's site, and the kids are mostly on tiktok and snapchat, two media which I long since decided were beyond the pale for me (there is a pub tiktok, it's run by one of the part-time waitresses. I think it has one post after I made her delete the other one for being mean about customers lost property), but there were enough people on there who were still concerned with trying to be relevant for you to vaguely pick up what was bubbling under.

I ceased being concerned with trying to be relevant some time in 2005, I should add. This is all osmosis.

Baling from there has meant I am now, blissfully, out of touch. I don't know what "no cap" means, I can describe things as "lit" if I want to embarrass the hell out of my kids (which, of course, is what having kids is for, n'est-ce pas?), you will never catch me using the word "smol".

(I do, however, still have a vague idea of where they're at culturally, though. Mystifyingly, they all seem to be into stuff that was big in the noughties, who knew knew Drake was still a thing?)

I remember Kingsley Amis saying that he was so glad he lost his libido as he aged, as it was like being chained to an idiot. Dodgy sexual politics aside, I feel much the same way as regards my gentle amble towards irrelevance. For years I have known things that I have no interest in, now I don't know them, which is commensurate with my level of caring, it's a much more equitable way of living.

That said, it was quite funny when the waitress who runs the Tiktok was shocked to discover that I knew what a Brat Summer was. No negative aura points here, in a bit,besties!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D-Day Dos and Don'ts for Dunces

Oh Rishi. Lad.  You have, by now, almost certainly become aware of the Prime Minister(for the time being)'s latest gaffe, as he returned home early from D-Day commemoration events in France, in order to "concentrate on an interview" which, as it turns out was already pre-recorded. There's been a fair bit of outrage, the word "disrespectful" is being bandied about a lot.  The word I'd use is "stupid". It is often said of the Brits that we have no religion but that the NHS is the closest thing we have to one. This, I think, is incorrect, because the fetishisation of WWII is to my mind, far closer to being our object of national veneration.  I understand why, last time we were relevant, fairly straightforwardly evil oppo, quite nice to be the good guys for a change, I absolutely get why the British public worship at the altar of a conflict which, I note, was a very long time ago. I think it's a bit daft, personally, but I understand it. So you

The three most tedious food debates on the internet.

 I very much only have myself to blame. One of the less heralded aspects of running a business is that one is, regrettably, obliged to maintain a social media presence, it's just expected. And, if I have to do it, I'm going to do it very much in my own voice, as I don't tend to have time to stop and think when I'm bunging something on Insta. It seems to have worked okay so far. But, as a man better versed on the online world than he would prefer, I should have known better than to stick up a picture of our bread rolls, fresh out of the oven. In my defence, I did preface said picture by saying "one of the most tedious debates on the internet is what these are called...". Doubtless you've seen the argument somewhere, it's one of the workaday tropes that shithouse FB pages use to drive engagement. Need a few thousand clicks to raise the profile of your godawful local radio station/page about how everything was better in the past/shelter for confused cats?

The semiotics of the IKEA meatballs

And so to Warrington, possibly with a little less vim than the occasion demands.  Truth to tell, the prospect of a trip to IKEA doesn't make my heart sing with joy. It's not the ships themselves, ruthlessly calculated flowcharts of attainable lifestyle that they are, its more where they're located. Ask me sometime and I will happily bore you to tears with my theories about retail parks being a key symptom of the atomisation of post-industrial society, thickets of giant soulless sheds which can only be driven to, cause and excuse for people to withdraw further from other people as they exist solely as consumers in an increasingly automated retail experience.  But I'll leave going on about that too much right now, as I haven't even had breakfast yet, so portents of the collapse of civilisation are perhaps too much too handle. I've also been up all night dealing with a faulty burglar alarm and am also perhaps a touch hungover, so my view of this experience, jaundic