Skip to main content

Refried Potatoes

It is the end of a particularly punishing Saturday service, and my body is reminding me, once again, that I am pretty old for a line cook.

Okay, that's a slight bit of faux modesty, done for the effect of the sentence. I'm a head chef, not a commis or a prep drone, but I do still work the line. I don't have to, I have other chefs, all of whom are perfectly competent (the maladroit get found out pretty quickly in our line of work, and so do the wankers, it's one of the reasons I enjoy it, there's no test of character quite like a busy Saturday service, and no test of consistency under pressure like Christmas) but for some reason that I have yet to fully fathom, I'm still there. I haven't even moved to expo, the traditional head's spot, standing at the pass plating and telling everyone what to do, I still work saute and grill, the grunt work, the actual hands-on stuff. I make sauces in the pan a la minute, fillet and portion to order, I don't prep garnishes ahead of time. I chiffonade herbs as and when I need them, I set my section up, I clean my section down. I think my sous and chefs de partie probably regard me as something of an oddity, but they're polite enough not to mention it.

It's been a warm day, which certainly doesn't help. There's nothing quite like the heat of a professional kitchen in hot weather. It builds through the day, with every check and every prep job larding yet more heat on, and never dissipates. At the end, when the last burner's turned off, and the fryers are cooling down, you think it will cool, but it never does, it just squats there. It will still be pretty toasty tomorrow morning, when I'll come downstairs at about half five to try to get some cool morning air in.

I've gotten fairly used to it over the years, but it's draining. And I'm reminded every time a shift finishes, and the adrenaline ebbs and, well, everything hurts.

I should step away, it's the natural order of things, and the time is fast approaching when I'll slow down, become a drag on the rest of the team, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I never intended to become a chef, I just sort of fell into it, and it turned out I was quite good at it, and then it turned out furthermore that I was slightly better than quite good at it, and before I knew what the fuck was happening, I was running kitchens. The first time I sent a plate of food out, it just felt right. This, I thought, was what I was supposed to be doing. The problem was, that by the time I realised this, I was already well on the way to being settled down. There was no time to bounce around a bunch of kitchens learning bits here and there, no stages in the great London restaurants, within a couple of years of putting a white jacket on, I was running my own, and I needed to be, because by the time I was a Husband, and a Dad, and a peripatetic lifestyle was firmly off the table.

And now I find myself finally starting to contemplate stopping.

There are good reasons to do so, sensible reasons, staff development, some things front of house require my attention, I need more time to pay attention to things like GP calculations, stock spreadsheets, all the bits surrounding the actual matter of taking ingredients and turning them into something delicious.

Which is a shame, as that's the bit that I enjoy.

I'm sure that you, as a reasonably intelligent (and, if I may say so, extremely attractive) human being have already sussed that my unwillingness to let go is tied up with the usual grab-bag of middle-aged male neuroses, and you would undoubtedly be right. Decreasing relevance? Waning of powers? Is it, perhaps, all about a bit of the old mid-life crisis? Going to buy a motorbike maybe? Get the old band back together?

And I would reply gently, but firmly, Probably. A bit. 

I don't particularly wish to relinquish line cooking in part because I'm really fucking good at line cooking, and that has probably become entangled with my sense of self to an unhealthy degree. I'm not good at many things, but this...this I really am. 

Another reason is also the name above the door syndrome. While I am in no sense known, there is a certain caste if  customer that likes to know I'm innthe kitchen, there are regulars that I've cooked for for years, in various establishments. Seeing me bobbing about the gaff in whites is what they've come to expect. There's a divide in cooking between chefs who are happy to be a name but not present, and those who feel like frauds if they're not cooking themselves. I am firmly in the latter camp.

But all things need to change, and I have a seething cast of chefs beneath me, each and every one convinced that they will shine once the old man's out of the way. So it's probably time. Or nearly time, anyway. Not just yet. Soon.

*pops laundry on, makes sure he has whites for tomorrow*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...