Skip to main content

Coastalblog's occasional guide to the catering industry

Value x in an indeterminate sequence of y

It's time to name and shame, people. It's time for me to use this forum to point fingers at the tight-arsed, pocket-patting bill-splitters of this world. You know the ones. The mean-featured "well I only had soup" utterers of this world who sneak guilty glances at the door even as they make damn sure that they're topping their glass up from the communal wine. And I'm arranging it by profession.

Yes! It's Coastalblog's Top five worst tipping professions:

NUMBER FIVE: The Banking industry. Yes, being around all that money all morning means clearly that when it comes to lunchtime they don't want to be seeing any more of the stuff than strictly necessary. Better yet, why not pay on the company card and look apologetically at the gap left for gratuities? We understand, it's okay, we're only on, like, a quarter of your wage.

NUMBER FOUR:
People on expense accounts. Oh my my my. What particularly galls me about you people, as you guzzle your fill and chortle heartily in the knowledge that the company will pay for it all (particular acknowedgement is due here to employees of Asda and Matalan as some of my most regular customers) is that not only do you not tip EVEN THOUGH SOMEBODY ELSE IS PAYING FOR IT you then have the nerve to ask me to put non-existent items on your bills. That's right! "Sorry mate, I can't be arsed leaving a couple of quid for you, but would you mind awfully committing FRAUD, which is a CRIME for me?"

NUMBER THREE: I feel bad doing this, but special mention has to go at three to other workers in the catering industry. Not because they're bad tippers. Most tip excellently, because they know, you see, and they understand. Those few who don't therefore have absolutely no excuse, and deserve this high placing, though not of course as high as

NUMBER TWO: Health professionals. That is to say, doctors to nurses and all points in between. I have no beef with porters and receptionists. They're fine by me. But my Christ NURSES. When I see a group walk through the door my heart sinks. I have the greatest respect for their profession. I am aware that they work long, hard hours for little thanks. All this strikes a chord with me. But they are lousy tippers. It needs to be said. And the worst part is they always leave beaming, smiling ministering angels, happy and satisfied with their place in the world. So beautiful, so noble, and yet so irredeemably tight. But not (and I cannot stress this enough) as tight as.

NUMBER ONE: Teachers. That's right. Teachers. You see, nurses don't tip, but at least they're normally nice people. Teachers, on the other hand, are as sour-faced, carping and downright annoying a set, as a profession, that I have ever, EVER come across. Individually? Fine. My Mother's a teacher, my girlfriend's a teacher. I've met several of her teaching friends, all of whom were lovely. But en masse? God help me I hate the fuckers. They ring a pre-order in with ten minutes notice and then sit around looking at you accusingly and clucking about how they haven't got much time because it's their lunch hour. They insist on paying for everything seperately (which, needless to say is a massive headache), occasionally quibbling about who should pay the largest portion of the chips they shared. They will either make one diet coke last an hour, or drink tap water. They will, I can guarantee, complain, and yet be back every week. They will never, ever, ever tip. And please don't tell me it's because of the wage, I would kill to be what you're on.

Conversely plaudits go to all members of the building profession, plumbers, plasterers, chippies, gas fitter and sparks. All of whom, I can't help but note, tip. Does this lead into a thesis that the English middle classes are pathologically anal? Possibly, watch this space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage