Skip to main content

Arrested development

I'll start by apologising sincerely. I've been consciously trying to avoid the political blog posts for a while, they weren't doing either my writing or mental health any good whatsoever. Plus, it does you good to have a bit of a think about other things. But, to paraphrase Michael Corleone: just when I think I got out, Michael Gove does something stupid and it pulls me back in.

You see, I've been trying to put my finger on what, beyond the obvious, has been aggravating me about the conduct of the Conservative and Unionist Party of Great Britain in this election so far. The general high-handedness, boorish sneering and pompous insincerity is pretty much par for the course. Yes, Rees-Mogg's cracking Grenfell zinger was a pretty spectacular example of staggering insensitivity, one for the ages but given that he was whisked swiftly away and hasn't been seen since it seemed that someone at CCHQ had their head screwed on, it's all been fairly muted, safety first. The strategy largely seems to be if we can get to 11th Dec without Boris using the n word we'll probably win.

But there was something irking me that I was struggling to pin down, something lurking beneath the surface, something new, something even more annoying than usual, a new, subtle flavour of crap.

Then, with Michael Gove's unutterably lame attempted intervention at Thursday night's climate change debate (for those unaware, short version is: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson decides to duck climate change debate, aware that he'll be crucified. Tries to send his sodding Dad and Gove instead, C4 says no dice chummy the clue's in the word Leaders, Tories kick off, claiming they're being silenced) the penny dropped. This is the election of People Who Think They're Clever But Aren't or, to be more precise: The Election of Know It All Teenagers. How else to explain all this adolescent posturing? Hahah, they'll be saying to each other, people are talking about the stunt, not our lack of grasp of the issues. Classic, guys absolutely classic. Yes, dear Reader, I'm afraid that we're in the grip of people who were told they were clever at school or university and haven't learned a single thing since. We all know you haven't got a grasp of the issues, we don't need to talk about it. We're talking about your stunt because we're gobsmacked by its twattishness.

You all remember the guy at Uni who thought he was the smartest fucker in the room, the one who knew more, knew better than anyone else?

(Yes, readers of long acquaintance, I'm aware that was probably me, the point is that I've learned a bit in the meantime, these haven't)

Yep that guy is Gove, and James Cleverly, and Boris Johnson, even poor little Matty Hancock, and none of them have learned a thing since. Routines that impressed their peers thirty years ago are doggedly stuck to. Obfuscation, evasion, refusal to think they might be wrong. It's possible to bluster through an undergrad argument on lies and erudition (trust me, I did it a lot), but there comes a point when you need to add a little substance, some consistency, preferably some actual facts. They, alas, don't have them. But what they do have is a sense of entitlement, and the confidence that comes from thirty years of getting your own way without being held to account.

So when Cleverly gets wheeled out to brazen out whatever lying piece of lying lying those clever chaps at CCHQ have come up with this week, be it doctoring videos, or changing the name of their twitter feed to "Fact Check UK" or just plain, good old fashioned lying, he doesn't bother to try and defend it, he just says it didn't happen. Human beanbag, "Bumboys" Johnson just says he never lies. Little Matty Hancock faithfully repeats the lies the big boys told him to say, the coke-raddled, Stormzy-baiting Gove (and is there any more soul-shrivelling moment of this entire sorry farrago than Colombian Pob tweeting "I set trends dem man copy"? reader, I died) rocks up to a debate he's not supposed to be a part of, already miked up with a three man camera crew in tow, like a sex-pest Louis Theroux and then parps on about being oppressed by the liberal media, all the while having a good old chuckle to himself at what a clever chap he is, that's shown them, let's threaten Channel 4 with closure for good measure. At least Sajid Javid had the grace to look like he was dead inside when defending "Letterboxes" Johnson's rampant Islamophobia.

All these stunts, and they are simply that, are designed to do one thing and one thing only, distract from the cold, hard, inalienable facts that nine years of Tory rule have ruined the country, decimated public services, tanked the economy and set the nation at each other's throats; and that another term of these insufferable idiots would be even worse, as they parcel up what's left of public life and sell it piecemeal to the Americans for a knock-down price, as they roll back decades of hard-won workers rights, as they let finance even further off the leash, as they cut us adrift from social liberal norms. And after they've pulled one, they sit back, and chuckle, these overgrown teenagers, giggling as they troll their own people.

Because, much like the sixth form bully who mocks your music choices (yes, probably me), or the smartarse undergrad who belittles your hard work (maybe not) these emotionally stunted adolescents are incapable of expressing themselves in any terms other than their own superiority, they've never had to learn another way of doing things. And so they carry on, wrecking the joint and laughing about it, because what could we possibly do to stop them? We're not as clever as them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage