Skip to main content

Late Autumn light

Walking back from work in the mid-afternoon, there's a filtered golden haze on the few leaves left.

I recently read Jun'Ichiro Tanazaki's essay In Praise of shadows, a thought-provoking, at times surprising study of aesthetics which was a lament for a lost world even when it first appeared in 1933. An amusing mix of the sacred and profane, Tanazaki circles obsessively round the subject of light. One central thesis is that one's appreciation of beauty is formed by circumstance, and as such the traditional Japanese homes of the time, with their paper walls and muted colours are to him more aesthetically pleasing than western ideas of beauty. As traditional homes admitted little light, he describes the beauty inherent in dim lighting, the flecks of gold in lacquerware bowls, the indistinct charm of traditional scrolls in unlit alcoves. He argues that the development of Japanese aesthetics springs from the low eaves of their houses, the interiors designed to make the most of what little light penetrates, he decries the advent of electric lighting as sluicing subtlety from the world: too harsh, too detailed.

This plea for the indistinct is, of course, overplayed, but Tanazaki's point is that beauty is where you find it, and I was reflecting on that this afternoon as I walked to pick my children up from school, the late autumn sun has a mellow richness to it which is particularly pleasing, slanting obliquely across the framework of trees, washing their colours into and almost ludicrously beautiful picture. You can, at this time of year, almost disbelieve what you're seeing, it's laughably gorgeous, and in this age of Instagram filters it's hard to believe that actual real life can trump any of them so effortlessly. The gentle afternoon sun is one of autumn's best gifts

The colours of existence change at this time of year, a walk yesterday was in full, piercing sunshine at midday, but drained of its heat it becomes brittle, fracturing around the stark lines created by clear skies. It's a harbinger of the almost cruel clarity of full midwinter sun, which seems to sharpen any angle it hits. The autumn sun at midday is a radically different beast from that soother of the afternoons.

Another reason to cherish it is, of course, its rarity. we like to dream of sun-struck autumns, but the reality is generally more leaden. Not so much mists and mellow fruitfulness as spiteful gobbets of rain and sudden, filleting winds. We're also reeling from the clocks going back, evenings suddenly being plunged into darkness. Set against this, it's only natural to grasp at any respite, which makes the relief all the better.

Anthony Bourdain once perceptively wrote that what marks out good chefs is the ability to work with cheap, unlovely cuts and transform them into a feast. Any idiot can cook a steak, the skill lies in turning a piece of shin beef into something transcendent. Likewise, it's easy to enjoy the sun at the height of summer, when its blowsy, obvious charms are playing on a mind already narcotized by heat and long daylight, you're pre-disposed to like it. the autumn light, fugitive and lovely, is something else altogether.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage