Skip to main content

Just let us enjoy it for five minutes, yeah?

He lost!

The moment that most sane humans have been fervently praying for for the last four years has finally arrived. After an interminable period of watching numbers fail to move, more "Key Race alerts than I've had hot dinners, and much marvelling at the seemingly iron constitutions of all at CNN, the news was finally confirmed. And lo there was much rejoicing across the land.

You'll have your own favourite bit, no doubt, Personally for me it's a toss-up between Nigel Farage losing a ten grand bet and the hilariously shambolic, bathetic ending, where a confused Rudy Giuliani, thinking he'd booked the Four Seasons Hotel for a press conference, stood blinking in the car-park of Four Seasons Total Landscaping, between a crematorium and a shop selling dildoes. 

I am not by any stretch much of a US politics nerd. I know that most UK politics fans have a slightly dorky obsession over the US process which probably stems from watching too much West Wing, but it's something I've only kept a tangential eye on. Until this one, this one really mattered (not that the other didn't, but what with the US withdrawing from the Paris climate Agreement as well as the WHO, this one mattered more than most). And so I, along with millions of others have been glued to it, because a second Trump term would, without wishing to be hyperbolic, have been pretty much the end of the world, or at the very least an acceleration of the process.

The way he's ridden roughshod over political norms over the last four years, sowing discord and destruction with every tweet, driving the US towards a grim authoritarianism, empowering racists, fomenting hatred, shattering international norms has been appalling enough in itself. His conduct since the result has only served to compound these crimes, scorching earth and tearing down structures with every lie-filled tweet. If he can't have it, nobody can. He was, without exception the most ill-equipped man to hold the Presidency in its history (and yes, I know James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson are routinely rated the worst, Nixon was also a criminal, and Reagan was criminal AND senile. Trump's worse). I'd rather Boris Johnson had the job, that's how bad he was.

So, whoever the Democrats put up, I was always going to want them to win. I know that Biden wasn't the most exciting candidate, I know he's a centrist, I know that he is essentially a continuation of the status quo which prepared the ground for vast disenfranchisement of people, I know that the neoliberal consensus which started in the eighties and has come to be the overriding political philosophy of my lifetime has proven ineffective, and contributed to worsening inequality worldwide. I know all this. I'm still glad Biden won.

Within seconds of the victory being claimed the usual caveats were being added, the usual sniping began. All the charges outlined above were being levelled, generally from the perpetually arsey end of the left. In fairness, I often count myself one of their number. But I'm not so obsessed with ideological purity that I'm not going to stop and enjoy the moment. It was like when Starmer won the leadership of the Labour Party, the rump Corbynistas were on the attack straight away. And you're forced to wonder, what will make you happy? Can you not just stop for five minutes? It was as if it were a race to be the first person to declare themselves dissatisfied.

I'm definitely to the left of Biden (and Starmer too, for that matter). That doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy his victory. Because in stopping Trump, he's done the world a favour. So there will be a time to criticise, and a time to disagree, and yes, a time just to plain have a go. But it's not now. Not yet. Let us enjoy it for five minutes, yeah?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T