Skip to main content

Sorry

 I'm sorry. I apologise. I was wrong.

Now, that's not so hard to do, is it?

Lord knows, as a man quick to anger, and quite frequently spectacularly wrong about things, I've had plenty of cause to utter those words over the course of a lifetime attempting (and quite often failing) to be on the right side of the argument (even as I type that I realise that seeing the world in those terms is, in itself, part of the problem).

This is a post which is, in part, about politics, but it's also about football. I'm sure most have you have by now cottoned on to the fact that Priti Patel's mealy-mouthed non-apology for having been found to be in breach of the Ministerial code is the inspiration for this short piece. Despite an unequivocal report that found her to be a bully, and to have treated her staff to all manner of verbal abuse, the woman now immortalised by Boris Johnson's WhatsApp messages as "The Pritster" issued the standard defence of people who are determined not to apologise properly. You'll have heard a variant of this before, the "I'm sorry if you felt.." apology, a conditional apology, not actually an apology at all.

"I'm sorry if you felt..." is a valid argument if the matter is still up for debate, it's a handy way of acknowledging that you may be in the wrong, without actually admitting any wrong-doing. It's also a useful tool for de-escalating an argument, giving a little ground without abandoning the field entirely. However, it also comes with the unspoken caveat "but, I'm still right". In Ms Patel's case, the matter was not up for debate. She's been found guilty by an independent investigation, whose findings were then summarily dismissed by World King Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson because it's not convenient for him right now.

You will recall similar obfuscation from now-defenstrated spad-u-like, Galaxy Brain Dom Cummings, earlier this year, when he was caught bang to rights breaking lock-down. Arguably, a straightforward apology would have helped to smooth the whole thing over, but he chose not to, and Johnson backed him up (in the process burning through a vast amount of political capital, and effectively causing open season on lock-down-flouting).  

I'm not entirely certain when not saying sorry became a thing, I came of age politically in the nineties, and my memory of the news that decade is largely of disgraced Minister after disgraced Minister saying they were sorry for whichever misdemeanour they'd been caught out on (mostly extra-curricular intercourse, or so it seemed) as the Major government collapsed amidst "Tory sleaze" But at some point since, it seems that the practice of saying sorry has ceased. The traditional mea culpa has given way to the conditional "if" or the passive "mistakes were made".

I understand the political reasoning behind this, admitting guilt gives your opponents a stick to beat you with. But I would argue that in many cases doing so quickly and cleanly means the whole affair disappears much faster, as the news cycle rumbles ever on. You also then have the irrefutable defence of "Look, I've said I'm sorry".

As to where the football comes in, I try to steer clear of football discourse, as the only type more one-eyed than political. But it does have relevance to the argument. Yesterday, Tottenham Hotspur inflicted a 2-0 defeat on Manchester City, a decent result for them. One journalist described this a  "Statement Victory", only immediately to be taken issue with by fans of other clubs saying it was anything but. So far, so predictable, but it got me thinking about the peculiar nature of partisan football fandom, where opinion is fact. 

A football match is a fluid thing, and two sets of fans can see the same game and come home with wildly different interpretations. Spurs fans saw yesterday's game as a defensive masterclass of catching a too-open team on the counter, the result was never in doubt. Fans of other clubs (particularly Liverpool and Arsenal) saw it as a fluky win against the odds, against a superior team (who are still nevertheless not as good as their own team). There is no "truth" to a football match, only interpretation, a couple of bobbles or actions either way and any other result was possible, that's partly what so often makes sport entertaining, you're never 100% sure what's going to happen.

But listen to fans, and this sort of relativism is anathema. If they lose it is only because of poor interpretation of the rules, terrible luck and other, darker reasons. Fans of Harry Kane will say he's the best striker inn the world, when this is disputed by other fans they don't say he's fourth or fifth, they say he's the worst. Neither of these positions is probable, but the all or nothing dialectic of football fandom (for a certain type of fan) insists that this is the only logical position to take.

I bring this up because Patel's non-apology allows her fans this indeterminate space to move in. In being found guilty but not admitting it, she's allowing her fans room to interpret the result. We see it again in the US election. Donald Trump, for all his bluster, does not believe that he's won, but he knows that by not admitting defeat he can empower his base to disbelieve the result. In creating a world where his believers can make the case that they've won he is attempting to alter inalienable, objective facts, making them a matter of opinion.

Facts are not opinion. Trump knows this. Patel knows this. This refusal to admit failure is ultimately extremely damaging to public life, as people see over and over again that actions don't have consequences. It's okay to firmly believe that your team were robbed, but it's not okay to change the result.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage