Skip to main content

Llamadramadingdong

Odd how life seems to occasionally throw up these strange synchronicities. I wrote, somewhat intemperately and grumpily last week about the animal based hoo-hah surrounding yer man Pen Farthing and his collection of waifs and strays. Well, not about them so much, more about the Great British Public's somewhat mystifying preference for saving animals over actual people.

And blow me down with a feather if I'm not about about to make a highly similar argument this week. For this is the week which has seen everyone's favourite Alpaca, Geronimo dragged somewhat dramatically off the farm where it had been blamelessly pottering about these past few years and put down by Government vets to avoid the spread of bovine tuberculosis, with which the poor little sod was riddled, apparently.

Now, I'm not going to deny that the sight of Geronimo, clearly not down with what was about to happen, getting dragged away was pretty distressing. And I'm also not actually going to defend the Government's policy here, either, I'm fairly pro-badger, and thus anti-culling, and it seems only reasonable to extend that courtesy to Geronimo. So, while I think the policy which got him culled was completely wrong-headed, it is, nonetheless, the stated Government strategy, so I'm not surprised it was carried out.

But the circus surrounding it was ludicrous. That this was even a news story at all is evidence that our media has the collective intellectual firepower of a herring, and not a particularly bright one at that.

Animals get killed all the time in this country. If you're not vegan, quite a lot of them have been killed to satisfy your appetite, if you are vegan, then believe me you don't want to know about the slaughter that goes down at harvest time when the combines come rumbling through the fields.

Badgers have died in their thousands over the Government's strategy. Every year, countless pheasants are released so fat blokes in red trousers can shoot them. Chicken nuggets are a thing. Horses get shot after they fall over in races. Animals are tested to death for medicines, countless cetaceans die as bycatch in trawler's nets. Noisy ocean going traffic drives whales onto beaches. HS2 destroys ancient woodlands, ruining habitats for generations to come, drivers hit deer, squash hedgehogs, dogs off the lead maul ground nesting birds, or drive the parents away and leave nests vulnerable to predators..

I'll go further, if you pave over your garden so you can park a car on it, you're actively destroying millions of invertebrates. If you cut your lawn, use weedkiller, spray your plants for bugs, own a cat, you are destroying so much life that it's barely comprehensible.

To be a human being is, one way or another, to be, directly or indirectly, responsible for an uncountable death toll of other animals. It doesn't matter how virtuous you are.

And yes, all these facts and events are protested, one way or another. But not on the scale of the outcry surrounding Geronimo, or Pen Farthings menagerie. Maybe it's because these are simple, easy to grasp cases, maybe it's because, let's face it, Geronimo was cute. Cuter than all the mice that died when you put your extension up, anyway, or the pigeons that roosted in the tree you chopped down because the leaves were a nuisance. Maybe it was the seeming unfairness of the full might of the British state against one Alpaca.

As I noted last week, we like to think of ourselves as a nation of animal wonders, but our actions don't bear that out. And I wonder if that self-image is tinged with guilt, subconsciously we know the damage we're doing. Geronimo becomes a totem, save this one Alpaca, and you can save the world.

It's a beguiling idea, but ultimately a wrong-headed one, and the fatuous circus which has surrounded its (admittedly reprehensible) killing is out of all proportion to the damage that we do, each and every one of us, on a daily basis.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...