Skip to main content

Happy birthday to me

 Coastalblog is 18!

Yes, in a quite surprising turn of events, I note that this wheezing, hoary, web 1.0 dinosaur has reached the age of majority. Older than my kids, older than my marriage, it's outlasted countless jobs, one whole business and the entirety of what one could laughingly refer to as my academic career. It is also, I can't help but note, considerably older than faceboko and twitter, meaning I get to shake my head wisely and sadly at the excitable behaviour of these upstarts (I am too old to even acknowledge the existence of tiktok, believing firmly that there's nothing worse than adults trying to muscle in on the kids stuff, and the less said about snapchat, the better*).

While the world has changed considerably since then, with a much more widely varied and exciting menus of threats to bring about the end of humanity, some things have remained much of a muchness. The very first post here asked what the point of it was, so I probably wasn't off to a flier, it also presciently suggested that I wouldn't post that often, which for some years (notably The Source Years) was definitely the case., where it was on the money was the discipline of the thing. It's a reason to sit down and write, and without it, I might not. And while I am not, by any stretch, the writer I once thought I would be, I find it hard to think of myself as not a writer, so I keep plugging away.

And, in a sense, it's worked. I look at the view counts for those first hesitant posts and (as I'd already suggested) no one was reading. These days, some people are, more than watch GB News, anyway. Some of the posts get a few hundred reads, not a drop in the ocean, I know, but enough to make me feel like there are people out there (and probably more than the total number of books I've sold down the years, it's a tough life here in the literary wilderness).

And it's nice to chart my life through it, from relatively carefree twentysomething to careworn bloke, and all points in between. The last eighteen years have seen marriage, becoming a parent, starting a business, the death of my brother, winding that business up, taking over another business, publishing some books, it's distinctly possible that it will be the most eventful period of my existence. I certainly hope so, I'm rather planning to stay as I am for the next few years, as where I'm at at the moment is pretty nice, thanks. Through it all, Coastalblog's bobbed about, occasionally being used to vent spleen on personal matters (though very rarely), occasionally as a vehicle for unforgivable whimsy, and mostly an opportunity for me to foghorn my terrible opinions at a largely uncaring world. I've tended to steer clear of career-related posts, though there are occasional recipes.

In a widely varied career of posts of hugely patchy quality, there are a few that entertain me still. The was the time that I broke the story of the hapless Fort William FC a week before The Times, for one. A lot of the stuff from the old days is in-jokes amongst my friends, now that I have no social life at all to speak of, the bulk of the posts are of the category I'd consider "Angry bloke fumes uselessly at Government", though one of my favourites (and one of the most popular) is last year's analysis of Gordon Ramsay's Full English

Far and away the most popular post in the blog's history is Reasons to be Cheerful part 2, which should probably be some sort of a lesson for me, people like cheerful stuff (though it got twice as many reasons as part 1, so what does that say, eh?) There are a couple of political ones in the top ten, and bafflingly, a book review of a Paul Auster novel (wasn't even one of his best ones), which, if nothing else, goes to show that I'm wildly inconsistent..

And there we have it, eighteen years (and one day) of mithering, muttering, fretting, obsessing and occasionally writing something people want to read. Who knows how much longer I'll keep it up for, but I'm not stopping yet.

*Why yes, I do sound like a middle aged man. There's a reason for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&

20

Huh. It turns out that this blog is, as of, well, roughly about now-ish, 20 years old. 20. I've been doing this (very intermittently) for twenty bloody years. And, I cannot help but note, still am, for some reason. I've done posts in the past, when this whole thing was comparatively blemish free and dewy-skinned looking back on its history and how it's changed down the years, there's not really a lot of point in doing that again. It's reflected what concerns me at the time, is, I think, the most charitable way of phrasing it (a  polite way of saying that it's been self-absorbed and solipsistic, but then, it's a blog, this should not come as a shock), it's interesting for me to look back over the lists of posts, but not so much for you, I imagine. Likewise, pondering how I've changed in the intervening years is also fairly pointless. It's painfully obvious that I was a very different person at 25 to 45, my experience of jobs and kids and marriage