Skip to main content

The freedom of mediocrity

I don't remember precisely when I worked that I was a mediocrity. I think the realisation slowly crept up on me over the course of a few years, much in the same way as one turns round at forty and wonders where the body of the twenty eight year old went.

Christ it was a relief, though

As I've probably mentioned countless tedious times, I was fairly high-achieving at school in some areas, mostly English, and spent a lot of time being told how brilliant I was (I wasn't, I was good at seeming brilliant), when all I really wanted was to be good at football so girls would like me (I wasn't, they didn't). Still, due to my sporting ineptitude, I eventually learned to be proud of the fact that writing-wise, I was quite The Thing, the solipsism of youth meaning I lacked the perspective that this was a pretty small sample size at my tiny Cornish comp (we punched above our weight though, a good smattering of high achievers among my contemporaries, maybe it was something in the water). Obviously being the best at Sir James Smith's meant I'd be the best everywhere.

To an extent, I was able to indulge this self image when I went to Uni, being arrogant enough to think people who didn't like my work simply didn't "get" it, whatever that meant. This was tolerated by my peers right the way through my MA. Obviously massive success was only a matter of time, though, you know, if it could get a shift on, that'd be great, I was still destined for greatness as things stood.

At this point, reality intervened, and the less said about the next twenty years, the better, regular readers will be aware of most of it, what with this blog turning 18 this year. And now here we are.

Now, obviously, I've grown out of this to an extent; I'm still a pompous prick, but at least I'm no longer a pompous prick who thinks he's the cleverest person in the room. I've developed enough self awareness to realise that I am a third rate intellect at best. I have written a few things I like, and done some work I'm proud of, but my talent is distinctly smaller than I was led to believe (and allowed myself to believe), and, frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm writing this blog partly as a response to the welter of bad takes surrounding the new Sally Rooney novel, not having read it yet, I'll not comment on the book itself (I enjoyed her other two though), but the discourse around it largely seems to have centred on Rooney's distaste for fame, a subject she explores in the book, apparently.

Obviously a lot of the carping has been of the "well if you don't want to be famous you shouldn't be a famous novelist" variety, which of course, misses the point entirely. Rooney didn't write those books because she wanted to be famous, she wrote them because she had to. It's the only good reason to write. She wrote them, and they happened to make her famous, that's a world of difference.

Now, while it's an act of monstrous egotism on my part to suggest I'd ever achieve Sally Rooney-like levels of fame, there was once a time when I assumed I'd one day be a novelist. It was only my complete inability to write a novel that stopped me, but that was just details, sooner or later, the idea would pop into my head and off I'd go. I'm starting to suspect that it probably isn't the case.

And it's a weight off my mind, I can tell you.

I'll go even further, I'm not even that arsed about being published any more, I've seen my name in print a few times, created a few artefacts that you can buy and hold in your hands, and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm compelled to write, but that itch is scratched here and on Coastalblog's sister blogs that no one ever reads. I no longer have the nagging sensation that I should and could have done more, I think I recognise that I've actually probably operated at or maybe just beyond my limits as a writer. Not trying to compete feels incredibly freeing.

It's a principle which can be applied in so many areas, I like to run, but I've made my peace with being lapped by arthritic tortoises, I love to play guitar, but have accepted that I'm spectacularly cack-handed. I've made a decent fist of running a pub, and I cook okay, but I'll never win an award or whatever, it's just a pub. A good one, mind.

At the risk of sounding too much like a self-help manual, realising and accepting your limitations is, I feel, one of the best things you can do for your own peace of mind. I'm a mediocrity, and I love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A whole new world.

I appear to have moved into the pub. Now, I don't wish to give the impression that this has come as a complete surprise to me, we'be been planning to do so since shortly after I bought it, but still, it's sort of snuck up on me and now I'm waking up and thinking what happened? How come I'm here? The reason for this discombobulation is that this move was initially a temporary measure. Mrs Coastalblog had some relatives coming to stay, and it made sense to put them up in our house while we decamped to the flat. It's still a work in progress, but a mad week of cleaning and carting stuff around made it habitable. I had a suspicion that once we were in we'd be back and forth for a few weeks. As with many of my hunches, I was completely and utterly wrong. As it turned out, once we were here, we were here. Things moved at pace and, now our kitchen appliances have been installed, there's no going back, the old house is unusable. It's left me with slightly mi

Genius loci

 At the back end of last week, I heard a sound which told me Autumn had truly arrived. It seemed out of place, as we sweltered in unseasonable warmth, but it is as reliable an indicator if the seasons turning as leaves browning. A slightly comical, slightly mournful honking, early in the morning then again at the turn of the day The pink-footed geese are back. It is one of those sounds which is part of the fabric of this place, the siren being tested at Ashworth Hospital means it's Monday, Bringing practice means it's Tuesday, and the migration of the Pinks to their wintering grounds at Martin Mere means it's time to dig the jumpers out. It is one thing I do think I'd miss if I moved away. The arrival of these faintly ludicrous birds, strung out loosely against the sky in their rough v formations is something which seems to have burrowed its way deep into my consciousness, a sign that yes, things are definitely not all they could be, but some things are still working. T

Mad Dogs and Immigration Ministers

It is with no small degree of distress that I'm afraid to say I've been thinking about Robert Jenrick. I know, I know, in this beautiful world with its myriad of wonders, thetre are many other things about which I could think, the play of sunlight upon dappled water, the laughter of my children, the song thrush calling from the sycamore tree a few yards away from where I type this. Yet the shiny, faintly porcine features of the Minister for Immigration keep bubbling up into my consciousness. It's a pain in the arse, I tell you. A few years ago on here I wrote a piece entitled The cruelty is the point in which I argued that some policies are cruelty simply for the sake of it, pour decourager les autres . I was reminded of that recently when I listened to Jenrick defending his unpleasant, petty decision to order murals at a migrant children's centre to be painted over. You've probably heard the story already; deeming pictures of cartoon characters "too welcoming&