Skip to main content

A few days worth of miscellany

What with Nano and what have you, I've let things slide here. Most remiss of me (the Nano itself is going pretty well, better than I expected anyway).

So anyway, I am back in the world of paid employment after my (much needed and much enjoyed) month and a bit off. I am being a barman again, in a pub (which is short term measure, exciting things should be happening in the New Year but I don't want to put the mockers on them by banging on about them now). Now pub bartending is v. v. different from restaurant bartending, the upside being that you don't have to be anywhere near as polite. The down side beng old men who've sat at the same stool for forty years, have "their glass", and assume that you telepathically know their order (such as yesterdays FIRST SHIFT where and old guy wandered up and grunted "usual" at me, to which my response was a fairly understandable "wtf you've never seen me before in your life, nor I you, how on earth do I know what you want?"). It's pleasant enough for the time being, and I'll have fun whipping the other staff into some sort of shape (it's an absolute farrago at the moment).

Next item: now I would like to take this opportunity to declare that I have less than zero interest in golf. I'm sure it's played by many lovely, lovely people, but the golf club regulars who used to eat at Le Frog have soured me completely on the game (that's right. "Game". It's not a "Sport" unless you break a sweat you fat fuckers). However, that being said, Lawrence Donegan's article in todays Guardian has got me rooting for David Drysdale, whose all round decency has led to Coastalblog adopting him as its token golfer. Go on Davy D! Qualify!

And finally, last night's television had your humble correspondent and his fellow viewer foaming at the mouth with rage for two reasons. Firstly the bloke who won Mastermind did so via a sequence of ridiculously easy question. Everyone elses were of the usual difficulty. The gentleman in question has also won "Who wants to be a Millionaire" though Coastalblog is at pains to point out that in NO WAY am I suggesting anything untoward. I just think that if I'd been one of the other contestants I'd have been mightily annoyed. The other occasion was during the advert breaks on CSI (I know, okay?). the idents for Toucan broadband promise us the ability to "download pictures in real time."

Download. Pictures. In. Real. Time.

Not since Phillippa Forrester asked us to "imagine a truly interactive environment" have I been so gobsmacked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inedible

"He says it's inedible" said my front of house manager, as she laid the half-eaten fish and chips in front of me, and instantly I relaxed.  Clearly, I observed, it was edible to some degree. I comped it, because I can't be arsed arguing the toss, and I want to make my front of house's lives as simple as possible. The haddock had been delivered that morning. The fryers had been cleaned that morning. The batter had been made that morning (and it's very good batter, ask me nicely and I'll give you the recipe some time). The fish and chips was identical to the other 27 portions I'd sent out on that lunch service, all of which had come back more or less hoovered up, we have have a (justified, if I do say so myself) very good reputation for our chips. But it was, apparently, "inedible". When it comes to complaints, less is more. If you use a hyperbolic word like that, I'll switch off, you've marked yourself as a rube, a chump, I'm not g...

Creepy old men

I note, somewhat wearily, that creepy old men are back in the news, being creepy. Creepy old men, and their apologists and enablers, who argue that their creepiness is somehow the natural order of things. Old men would have you believe that it is difficult to not be a creepy old man. That it is a task of epic proportions. It is not that difficult. It is a matter of intention. As yet more of the grimness of Epstein unfolds, creepy old men are, sadly, a flaccid topic once again. Whether it be pursuing students thirty years their junior, or simply not asking too many questions about the background of the probably legal young woman who you've just been introduced to by your good pal Jeff. To be clear, I am not referring to criminal creepy old men, the ones who actually committed statutory rape, the ones who fucked trafficked hirls. That is not something which is allowed to get away merely with the contempt of the observer.  That deserves prison.  No , I'm referring to the hinterla...

Chop chop

I was completely ignorant of the fuss over the edited Trump speech in an edition of Panorama until, one moment later, I wasn't. And the reasons for my ignorance are instructive. I had no idea that the story was even brewing until the surprise Sunday night news of the resignations of Tom Davie and Deborah Turness. As I'm sure you are by now aware, this was occasioned by a clumsy edit in an old edition of Panorama, which has already been on the iplayer for a year. It's a non-story. Except people decided to make it a story. The reason I'd heard nothing of it until the resignations was that I'm not on X, where, apparently, it was all the media classes had been talking about for a week. It was an obsession of the unholy right-wing trifecta of the Mail, Telegraph and Times (who, given that they sent a bloke just last week to interview the wrong Bill di Blasio, you'd think would wind their necks in over factual inacccuracy). It was big news on GB news, all self-contain...